Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump just got a nice victory, thanks to, of all people, Rachel Maddow

Donald Trump just got a nice victory, thanks to, of all people, Rachel Maddow

On her Tuesday show, Rachel Maddow teased a scoop: She had Donald Trump's 2005 tax returns. It was the first time his federal returns would be released.
    Small digression: MSNBC's Maddow didn't have them. Investigative reporter David Cay Johnston got them, and went on her show to talk about it.
    Anyway, when she finally revealed what was in the taxes, it was not a huge deal. Trump earned about $150 million in income in 2005, and paid $38 million in taxes, thanks to the alternative minimum tax, which he wants to kill.

This gives Trump an effective tax rate of about 24 percent, which Johnston pointed out was roughly equal to what he and his wife, who are an upper middle class couple, pay.
    And, sure, for a billionaire, you can argue that he should pay more in taxes. But, $38 million is a big number. As is $150 million in income.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/14/donal...el-maddow.html

So Trump made a bunch of money and paid a bunch of taxes.
    How disappointing

People wanted to know where his money was coming from. Releasing two pages of a 12 year old tax return isn't even close. Some are even claiming Trump released it himself to take the news cycle off of health care and Russia. This is just a smokescreen.

Interestingly enough, that's the same response I have seen all over the liberal sites

He has no need to take the focus off of healthcare. He likes that there is progress being made, as he promised.

Well I sure wish I could use my 12 year old tax returns for assorted things! But yeah, pretty much useless in painting my financial picture now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Interestingly enough, that's the same response I have seen all over the liberal sites

He has no need to take the focus off of healthcare. He likes that there is progress being made, as he promised.
    Is it? Do your conservative sites like the healthcare plan as it is? I have seen it pretty much panned across the board. Heck, even Trump didn't mention it today, when he could have! The only one I've heard excited about it is Ryan!

Rachel Maddow was ridiculous hyping that big fat nothing burger

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    Is it? Do your conservative sites like the healthcare plan as it is? I have seen it pretty much panned across the board. Heck, even Trump didn't mention it today, when he could have! The only one I've heard excited about it is Ryan!
    I haven't seen much in the way of accolades for the proposal as it stands (except from Ryan- but I think he just wants to pass anything to say they did what they promised).

But back to RichB's point in the other thread- Trump is not a policy wonk. He promised he would repeal Obamacare and probably feels like he is close. I think that's all he really cares about and is certainly not hiding from it.

I haven't seen much in the way of accolades for the proposal as it stands (except from Ryan- but I think he just wants to pass anything to say they did what they promised).

But back to RichB's point in the other thread- Trump is not a policy wonk. He promised he would repeal Obamacare and probably feels like he is close. I think that's all he really cares about and is certainly not hiding from it.
    Is he close? I'm not being snarky. I see fiscally conservative Republicans saying that this bill is still a big entitlement, and so they dislike it. I see more moderate Republicans saying that this bill will cut coverage for their constituents, and so they dislike it. I'm not sure how to get a healthcare plan that keeps both happy. I'm not sure anyone has come up with such a plan. Until someone does, I don't see this as being anywhere near "close."

I said " he probably feels like he is close"

The point being, he is making his supporters /voters happy because he held out the repeal Obamacare carrot. And it's in progress.
    He isn't hiding behind a smokescreen on that issue by leaking his taxes.

I said " he probably feels like he is close"

The point being, he is making his supporters /voters happy because he held out the repeal Obamacare carrot. And it's in progress.
    He isn't hiding behind a smokescreen on that issue by leaking his taxes.
    I think he needs a diversion from Russia, and from the news that many Republicans are now saying there is NO evidence that Obama tapped his phones or televisions or microwaves. I have no idea whether Trump released the decade-old portion of a return or not, but I don't see that as anything more than a diversion.

If he was so excited about making his supporters /voters happy with the ACHA, why not mention it at his speech today? Sounds very un-Trump-like NOT to mention something he considers an accomplishment. Maybe a large part of the problem is that the majority of people seeing rates increase are in red states, something I'm sure he's heard.