Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ObamaCare repeal analysis: Millions would drop coverage, costs would fall under bill

It leaves us where we were. Millions without coverage using the ER for primary care or not seeking care until their condition is critical (both options costing WAY more than primary care)

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    I'm curious how they figure out who would drop insurance.
    A good portion of those covered under the Medicaid expansion would likely not be able to afford insurance, especially those who are older. They are also assuming some will not buy insurance if not legally mandated to do so.

They aren't taking into account the affects of the death spiral in the current system.
    The "death spiral" is actually less choice, not a dying system.

Regardless, this plan doesn't attack the main problems of the current system; so, like many heated debates in DC it is drama about minor variations.
    I would say it's not a "minor variation" when we are talking about millions of people losing health insurance. That said, yes, it's still an entitlement, it's just one that helps the rich a bit more and gives less to those making less.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    It seems like almost all of the net additional people that got coverage were due to the Medicaid expansion. The exchanges, the mandate, etc. has been an unmitigated disaster.
    I don't know if I'd say it's the disaster (I know too many people who have insurance now that were never able to afford it before to ever say that), but I agree that the Medicaid expansion was very helpful to many, and repealing that part of it doesn't seem wise.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    It leaves us where we were. Millions without coverage using the ER for primary care or not seeking care until their condition is critical (both options costing WAY more than primary care)
    Not quite where we were. Now many people have plans that don't cover any costs unless something big happens and their prescription costs are going through the roof.
    'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' - Ronald Reagan

'You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook.' - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    I would say it's not a "minor variation" when we are talking about millions of people losing health insurance. That said, yes, it's still an entitlement, it's just one that helps the rich a bit more and gives less to those making less.
    Seems everything about Obamacare and this latest iteration is about deciding who the millions of people who lose insurance are. It still favors people who work for large companies vs. everyone else.

The obsession with having a policy vs. who can actually access to the care they need is part of the problem as well.

The "death spiral" was a predicted outcome of Obamacare from day 1.

Seems everything about Obamacare and this latest iteration is about deciding who the millions of people who lose insurance are. It still favors people who work for large companies vs. everyone else.

The obsession with having a policy vs. who can actually access to the care they need is part of the problem as well.

The access to coverage vs. access to care discussion isn't really an issue if the plan offered gives neither.

I think by gutting the parts of the program that pay for it, members of the GOP are trying to turn this into a death spiral. By choosing not to take the Medicaid expansion, certain states made it much harder for their residents. Those were GOP choices, though, not part of the ACA.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Not quite where we were. Now many people have plans that don't cover any costs unless something big happens and their prescription costs are going through the roof.

See the bolded? That is SOMETHING.
    (says the girl who had 155k worth of chemo)

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    The access to coverage vs. access to care discussion isn't really an issue if the plan offered gives neither.

I think by gutting the parts of the program that pay for it, members of the GOP are trying to turn this into a death spiral. By choosing not to take the Medicaid expansion, certain states made it much harder for their residents. Those were GOP choices, though, not part of the ACA.

Exactly

And let's not forget the vicious fighting from both sides that ended up pandering to the insurance and drug companies which gutted some of the good in the ACA.

When are we going to stop paying the insurance companies to dole out our healthcare?

Seeing as the CBO found that both plans were equally stable, they seem to disagree with you about Obamacare being in a "death spiral." I know it's a talking point for most of the GOP, but the facts don't seem to bear that out. Yes, it could use some tweaking, because some do pay too much, but there is a lot of good in it.

In their sales pitch for the American Health Care Act, House Speaker Paul Ryan and other Republicans have maintained that replacing the Affordable Care Act is necessary because the healthcare law, better known as Obamacare, is "collapsing."

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, evidently, disagrees.

In the CBO's report predicting the effects of the AHCA, the nonpartisan budget office on Monday said the individual health-insurance marketplace under both the current system and the proposed system would be stable.

"In CBO and JCT's assessment, however, the non group market would probably be stable in most areas under either current law or the legislation," the report said.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/cbo-r...17-3?r=UK&IR=T

The states that didn't expand Medicaid were led by Republican governors who wanted to help Obamacare fail, and were happy to deny constituents care to do so.

This also allows insurance companies to fine citizens for not having coverage - up to 30% of their premium costs if they let their insurance lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    The states that didn't expand Medicaid were led by Republican governors who wanted to help Obamacare fail, and were happy to deny constituents care to do so.
    Yes. Exactly.

This also allows insurance companies to fine citizens for not having coverage - up to 30% of their premium costs if they let their insurance lapse.
    This will more likely hurt those whose income changes, not allowing them to afford coverage for a period of time, and the young who feel they will never get sick.