Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing the Recorder

Playing the Recorder

Did you learn to play the recorder in elementary school? Did your kids?

If you had been the one to decide, would your kids have learned it?

I'll have a third grader next school year, and third grade is when I learned recorder, so I'm trying to decide if I want that to be part of our plan. It seems like a rite of passage...but on the other hand, my house already has plenty of noise.

We had recorder in 2nd grade. My mother forbid me from bringing it home, so I can't say I learned it.

If you decide to go for it, my friend who is an elementary school music teacher has a curriculum she developed that sort of mimics earning belts in karate.

Alternatively, you could try for a more pleasant sounding instrument, say, a ukelele.

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    Alternatively, you could try for a more pleasant sounding instrument, say, a ukelele.
    I've always said this is why DD plays the harp. Even when she was terrible and just learning it sounded lovely! We played the recorder in music class but never really "learned" it.

Dd, dh and I all had recorder lessons in grade 3. Dh was taught ukulele in grade 5 or 6. We had bought dd a recorder when she was 6 or so, and with the help of a book and a tiny bit of direction from us she picked it up quickly. I think it's a great starting wind instrument.

Call me crazy, but I actually don't mind the sound of the recorder, even after 20 years of hearing classes squeaking away (why do so many schools put the music room near the library? ). I played the violin from grades 5-9, and would love to pick it up again but dh isn't a fan of the sound. I hate the sound of the saxophone, for some reason. Thankfully dd only played that for a couple of months before going back to clarinet. Everyone's ear is different, so go with whatever works for your family - any instrument is awesome to learn.

Crunchy and a little nutty PB&J's Avatar
    Our kids all had it in school. You send $5 and you get a recorder and a book and they learn at school. They brought it home, but it wasn't a big deal. No more annoying than any of the other instruments mine have played (trumpet, viola, cello...)

oh god, the recorder (aka: the tooter)! I didn't really encourage my daughter to practice... but enjoyed their christmas concert! It was hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    Dd, dh and I all had recorder lessons in grade 3. Dh was taught ukulele in grade 5 or 6. We had bought dd a recorder when she was 6 or so, and with the help of a book and a tiny bit of direction from us she picked it up quickly. I think it's a great starting wind instrument.

Call me crazy, but I actually don't mind the sound of the recorder, even after 20 years of hearing classes squeaking away (why do so many schools put the music room near the library? ). I played the violin from grades 5-9, and would love to pick it up again but dh isn't a fan of the sound. I hate the sound of the saxophone, for some reason. Thankfully dd only played that for a couple of months before going back to clarinet. Everyone's ear is different, so go with whatever works for your family - any instrument is awesome to learn.
    Oh yes, the saxophone or clarinet (shudder for me, not for you, LOL) would have been WAY WAY worse than a recorder for me. It is really interesting how different people respond to different instruments. Give me low brass over any instrument any day.

Hot Cross Buns was on a constant loop in my house. N played it and then E did 10 years later.

N mastered playing two. One from each nostril.

All the kids played recorder at some point.

Learning the recorder teaches musical skills... reading music, rhythm, playing as a group. I'd encourage it. It is also a gateway drug to other instruments.

Yes, when a kid starts an instrument it doesn't sound good. But, if they like it, they'll get better and you'll enjoy it.

And, FWIW, a friend asked me to play as part of a recorder quartet at a holiday party last year. We were good