Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing the Recorder

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    N mastered playing two. One from each nostril.

The girls already do piano and choir, so we're doing music theory in both those places. They both have good ears for music (N does, too). Once they hit 4th or 5th grade, I expect they'll start a band instrument (woodwind or brass) - there's a homeschool band they can join.

They wouldn't get the group aspect with recorder because it would just be me teaching them at home. Unless I volunteered to teach a group recorder class...which I'm thinking is unlikely. I'm not even sure if I could teach both of them together next year, because I think Cecily's hands might not be big enough to hold and play it comfortably. They do get group music practice in choir.

I remember bringing my recorder (actually, mine was a flutophone) on a family vacation to the mountains. I also remember my mom telling me I had to "play that thing OUTSIDE!" But I enjoyed it, and when I picked up an ocarina later it was really easy to learn that. Not sure if recorder had any influence on my ability or enjoyment when I played French horn, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post

Learning the recorder teaches musical skills... reading music, rhythm, playing as a group. I'd encourage it.
    I agree

You can get better sounding recorders, btw. A nice wooden recorder is a lot less squeaky. I taught myself recorder when I was in high school and I enjoyed it. It probably was no musical delight for anyone else, but I played it in my room, which was in the basement, and I will guarantee you that it sounded better than the first year my sister played the clarinet.

My kids did have recorder in 3rd grade, and it was pretty squeaky, but it was certainly no worse than the 5th grade band concerts.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Playing the Recorder

Even though they can be annoying, recorders are a great way to start learning about music because if you can breathe, you can make a sound, lol! They are cheap, lightweight, portable, & everyone can have their own. You can teach/learn basic music skills, students can try different fingerings to see how they affect the pitch, they can play alone or in a group. Results may be painful to the adult ears, but the kids get to hear themselves playing an actual song, even if it is Hot Cross Buns. I think it's a great way to introduce the possibilities of making music themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a recorder when I was a kid but we didn't learn in school. I'm not sure why I had one. My kids have learned recorder and pBone (plastic trombone) in school. They didn't continue with either, but they already take other music lessons outside of school.

If your kids already do piano and choir, they are already getting a lot of the benefits they would get from recorder. Have they said they are interested in learning?

I learned recorder in school, and so did both my kids.

The music teacher explained to me that it is an excellent way to teach children music, and an easy instrument to learn.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Premier Sponsor
    I would totally go the wooden recorder route. They sound much nicer. I had one from the time I was about 8 until one of my kids left it out and stepped on it about 35 years later.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

My older two were given plastic recorders to play at the school. They had a new teacher when my dd got there and they had to make their recorders. It was some sort of kit and they did it all at school. I wish I could remember more about it. I will have to ask dd.

Quote Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
    Our kids all had it in school. You send $5 and you get a recorder and a book and they learn at school. They brought it home, but it wasn't a big deal. No more annoying than any of the other instruments mine have played (trumpet, viola, cello...)
    Same here.

I asked a friend about this today - she homeschools too, but her oldest is almost 6, so younger than Clara.

I said, "So here's something you haven't thought about at all: Are you going to teach your kids to play the recorder?"

Her: "Oh, wow, I don't know! I mean, it's kind of a rite of passage, isn't it?"

I will probably at least start teaching C1. If it ends up being something she doesn't enjoy, I won't feel too badly about abandoning it. And then I'll play it by ear (heh) with C2 and N down the road.