Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: University Removes Scale from Gym to "Avoid Triggers"

University Removes Scale from Gym to "Avoid Triggers"

Aaaaaand now we jump the shark.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4021378

Carleton University is feeling the burn from students on social media for removing a weight scale from its gym to promote a more holistic approach to a healthy body image.

The recent move isn't sitting well with several students who are accusing the school of kowtowing to a small group of gym users who are easily offended.....

..."We stand up for free speech and defend the books that offend certain people because of their merits. They can simply choose not to read them. This is the same thing. Those who are offended by the scale can simply choose not to use the scale," Bens wrote.

"Certain athletes like boxers and rowers rely on those measurements, for them the [scale] is vital."

Anyone else find this as hilariously rediculous as I do?

I'm kind of with the school, honestly. I don't see how it's pandering to those easily offended - it's the school choosing to send a message about health. I mean really, are boxers and rowers prevented from owning a scale and standing on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    I'm kind of with the school, honestly. I don't see how it's pandering to those easily offended - it's the school choosing to send a message about health. I mean really, are boxers and rowers prevented from owning a scale and standing on it?
    Many of the athletes (rowers, wrestlers, etc) need to know their weight for their sport.

Can't people who don't want to know their weight just not use the scale?

Where are you getting that it was to "avoid triggers?"

In an email to CBC News, Bruce Marshall, manager of wellness programs at Carleton, said it was the recreation and athletics department's decision to remove the scale and that it wasn't based on complaints.Following three days of online backlash from students, Marshall told CBC, "we will weigh the pros and cons and may reconsider our decision."
    The scale was removed two weeks ago "in keeping with current fitness and social trends," Marshall explained in his email.
    "Although it can be used as a tool to help measure certain aspects of fitness it does not provide a good overall indication of health and here at athletics we have chosen to move away from focusing solely on bodyweight," he said.
    "If you need a number to focus on in regard to reaching certain fitness goals we suggest using girth measurements. You can start by recording measurements in multiple areas, for example your torso, hips, chest, legs and arms. You would then revisit these measurements after a few weeks to keep tabs on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    Many of the athletes (rowers, wrestlers, etc) need to know their weight for their sport.

Can't people who don't want to know their weight just not look at the scale?
    Right. Do they not know their weight if the school gym doesn't provide and maintain a scale? Are they prevented from owning one themselves?

And none of this has anything to do with "people who don't want to know their weight." Not everything is worthy of outrage. Sometimes organizations make decisions on how to operate and the world doesn't end.

Where are you getting that it was to "avoid triggers?"
    From the article...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. Do they not know their weight if the school gym doesn't provide and maintain a scale? Are they prevented from owning one themselves?

And none of this has anything to do with "people who don't want to know their weight." Not everything is worthy of outrage. Sometimes organizations make decisions on how to operate and the world doesn't end.
    Boxers and wrestlers may sit in a sauna and sweat themselves out before a meet to make weight. They should do that in the gym and then run home to use a scale??? That makes no sense.

If you don't wanna know your weight just don't get on the scale. Some athletes need that tool for their sport.

That's not the article. That's a tweet that someone else made. A random person saying it doesn't make it true. One student is quoted saying scales are triggering for people with eating disorders. In the actual article in which an email conversation with the university's wellness department is cited, the reason is as I quoted above, and was not based upon complaints about the scale.

This is nothing more than manufactured outrage.

That's not the article. That's a tweet that someone else made. A random person saying it doesn't make it true. One student is quoted saying scales are triggering for people with eating disorders. In the actual article in which an email conversation with the university's wellness department is cited, the reason is as I quoted above, and was not based upon complaints about the scale.

This is nothing more than manufactured outrage.
    If my gym took the scale out of the locker room I'd be pissed. It's a number I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    Boxers and wrestlers may sit in a sauna and sweat themselves out before a meet to make weight. They should do that in the gym and then run home to use a scale??? That makes no sense.

If you don't wanna know your weight just don't get on the scale. Some athletes need that tool for their sport.

No doubt the meet facilities still have scales. Or a coach has a scale. It's not like they're banned or something. This still has nothing to do with people who don't want to know their weight. You are literally making that up from thin air. Why so upset? I don't get it.