Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: University Removes Scale from Gym to "Avoid Triggers"

I don't think it's a bad thing to have one. But the outrage at its removal? Way over the top. Not every gym provides a scale. It's not a requirement.

Chronically sleep deprived RN_mom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    I don't think it's a bad thing to have one. But the outrage at its removal? Way over the top. Not every gym provides a scale. It's not a requirement.
    This is where I am. I think it's silly to make a point to remove it, but I think it's sillier to be outraged about it.

On one hand, I do think many people focus too much on their weight and ignore other measures of health. (Myself included, to some extent!)

On the other hand, weight still has value as a measure of health if people understand how to evaluate it in the context of other measures. I think that rather than removing that tool, it would be a better move to work on educating people on how they should interpret their weight in relation to their overall health.

Also, I didn't have a scale when I was living on a college campus. I mean, I could have bought one, but as a college student, I would have thought, "No need to spend money on that when I can just weigh myself at the gym." (And it would've been student loan money paying for it if I had bought one! ;))

So I tend toward disagreeing with their decision, but...I also can't get terribly worked up about it. So I end up at "meh, whatever."

However, I am giggling at the quote that says they "will weigh the pros and cons." I'm not sure how they're planning to do that.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    Quote Originally Posted by RN_mom View Post
    This is where I am. I think it's silly to make a point to remove it, but I think it's sillier to be outraged about it.
    Especially when the reason for the outrage is completely made up.

The scale was removed two weeks ago "in keeping with current fitness and social trends," Marshall explained in his email.
    "Although it can be used as a tool to help measure certain aspects of fitness it does not provide a good overall indication of health and here at athletics we have chosen to move away from focusing solely on bodyweight," he said.

A choice was made based on the review of their goals and attitude towards health, it's being made out to sound like a bunch of overweight snowflakes are running around the gym screaming hysterically at the sight of the scale which isn't the case at all according to the article.

I think the scale is one tool of many and I don't care either way if a gym has one or not but to assume it's based on the above-mentioned snowflakes and then judging that made up scenario as *hysterically rediculous* sounds like a leap based on personal assumptions and opinions instead of what actually happened.

boring prudish virtue signaler stellarfeller's Avatar
    Although the image of a bunch of hysterical overweight snowflakes is pretty funny
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    it's being made out to sound like a bunch of overweight snowflakes are running around the gym screaming hysterically at the sight of the scale
    Sounds like the basis of a new CBS sitcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    Since the athletic teams can have scales in their locker rooms, I'm not really seeing the problem here.
    I agree. My friend's son was a high school wrestler and weight was a huge concern for him. But he didn't rely on his home or personal gym's scale - he relied on the team's scale.

And honestly - I found the whole focus on weight disconcerting. His natural athletic weight was a higher than his weight class so before a meet he would go to major lengths to "make weight".

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    I removed the scale from the house because of obsession over "the number". Our medical system is overly obsessed with "the number". The wellness department made an important point.
    I agree. Interestingly when I started at the gym my goal was to lose the 10 lbs I had gained and couldn't get rid of but my trainer told me that my weight actually where it should be - my problem was that I didn't have much muscle. And he warned me - my weight wouldn't likely change much in the beginning as I began to put on muscle (it didn't) - he advised it would be inches where I'd see the difference - not pounds.

We are a society too focused on weight and not enough on health and fitness.

And while we have a scale at my gym - I rarely see anyone using it.
    Mom to Taylor (22), Katie (19), Ben (16) & Grace (13)

I don't think my fitness center has a scale...at least I don't remember ever seeing one. I do think it's stupid if it had one to then remove it, but meh.

My kids and I have never been weighed at the dentist or orthodontist office.

Sports teams that need to achieve weight, I'm pretty confident that they have scales in their locker rooms or wherever they train.

Back in my 20s, when I was at my fittest, in size 8 clothing, I still weighed 135 lbs and was considered overweight by the BMI standards. I looked and felt damn fine! And it was a lot of work to just maintain that, much less continue to lose weight. Not everything is about height and weight. I have big boobs, big hips, big bones, big everything, thanks to my genetics. I will never get to what BMI standards say I should be for someone 5'2".

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    This. As for athletes, at my alma mater, they don't even use the same gyms as employees and other students.