Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: University Removes Scale from Gym to "Avoid Triggers"

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Chalmers View Post
    The college didn't ban scales, which is why your book burning analogy is absurd.

This has nothing to do with people who don't need to know their weight. Why are you acting as if the college responding to people complaining about the existence of a scale? That is not what happened.
    I don't care what the reason is for taking away a useful tool. It's taking away a useful tool and I think that's stupid.

They changed their program to bring the facilities in line with the program's stated goals. They're allowed to do that.

And I don't buy that you don't care. Practically every post of yours has been raging about triggers and people who don't want to know what they weigh.

They changed their program to bring the facilities in line with the program's stated goals. They're allowed to do that.

And I don't buy that you don't care. Practically every post of yours has been raging about triggers and people who don't want to know what they weigh.
    Every post of mine has been discussing athletes who need to know their weight for their sport... and I repeatedly said that I find the removal of the scale as hilariously rediculous...where is that rageful?? What thread are you reading?

Would you like to discuss the topic of the post? Or continue to discuss ME? Because I'm not the topic of the post - No matter how much you want to talk about me lol I'm not really interested in debating ME, I'd like to debate whether or not it is sensical to remove a tool from a gym. You know - the topic of the original post...

I'm discussing what actually happened, which has nothing to do with triggers or people who don't want to know their weight or anything of the sort. If your concern is that certain athletes who wish to dehydrate themselves into a lower weight category, there's really no evidence that they have no way to monitor their progress.

As there is no evidence that anyone is harmed by the wellness program's decision, yes, I am absolutely questioning why you are reacting so strongly.

I'm discussing what actually happened, which has nothing to do with triggers or people who don't want to know their weight or anything of the sort. If your concern is that certain athletes who wish to dehydrate themselves into a lower weight category, there's really no evidence that they have no way to monitor their progress.

As there is no evidence that anyone is harmed by the wellness program's decision, yes, I am absolutely questioning why you are reacting so strongly.
    I guess I don't think that finding something silly and posting about it is a very strong reaction...?

I'm also a person who uses the scale a lot at my gym and I'd be pissed if they took it away. They've got the good one with the weights and mine is a cheapo Target special at home and theirs is more accurate. So I guess I put myself in the position of someone at that school who uses the scale. Isn't that what people do when they read an article? They think about how it would apply to their own life and then make a decision on how they feel about it?

Why are you so upset that I have an opinion?

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    Nothing in the article said they do.
    Well, they have several sports teams, so I'm fairly confident that they do.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Premier Sponsor
    They did say they are encouraging people to use things like body measurements.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    Well, they have several sports teams, so I'm fairly confident that they do.
    I just don't think taking away tools is productive. If the point of the wellness program is to say that a number on the scale isn't the only tool, then put out some tapes, calipers, charts, etc along with the scale. Use one of those underwater tank things - that's the most accurate anyway - but don't take away tools that someone needs. Add more tools if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    I guess I don't think that finding something silly and posting about it is a very strong reaction...?

Why are you so upset that I have an opinion?
    That is not what happened. No one is upset that you have an opinion. What I am questioning is why your opinion is so skewed toward the imaginary "people who don't want to know what they weigh." That gives me the impression that this is about something else other than the wellness program removing a particular scale. When you title a thread and quote certain things and repeatedly emphasize something, that gives people the impression that you find them important.

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    They did say they are encouraging people to use things like body measurements.
    I just didn't see anything that said "we are going to provide other tools since we took this tool away". If they did, great! But why take a tool away to begin with? Just add more tools...