Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: University Removes Scale from Gym to "Avoid Triggers"

Quote Originally Posted by GiftOfFlavor View Post
    If my gym took the scale out of the locker room I'd be pissed. It's a number I want to know.
    And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with you wanting to know your weight. That can be accomplished via scales at numerous locations. They're not exactly a rare specialty item. If your gym removed the scale you could request that they return it, and if they opted not to do so you could take your business elsewhere. That's a perfectly valid personal choice. But getting upset because a university's wellness program removes a scale? That's just nonsensical. No one is harmed here. It's a very odd thing to get so upset about.

NEVERtrump
    The current trend in health and fitness around here is to focus on non-scale victories such as reduced clothing size, longer endurance, etc. I think this is a healthier focus.
    “Saying John Lewis isn’t a man of action is like me saying: ‘Donald Trump is all tax returns, no tweets.’” Trevor Noah

Countdown the the End of An Error

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    The current trend in health and fitness around here is to focus on non-scale victories such as reduced clothing size, longer endurance, etc. I think this is a healthier focus.
    This is a wellness program. It is promoting wellness. I see no problem with this at all. For example, the wellness program where I work used to have competitions for losing weight. They stopped, because that's not actually promoting wellness.

boring prudish virtue signaler stellarfeller's Avatar
    If my gym took the scale out of the locker room I'd be pissed. It's a number I want to know.
    Then why not have a scale at home?
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    Then why not have a scale at home?
    I do. But if I was a college athlete trying to make weight I'd wanna know it at the place I'm trying to make it. Or I wouldn't know if I was done.

Why can't people who don't need to know their weight just not use the scale?

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    Health and fitness and wellness is fine. Certain athletes need to know their weight.
    Those who don't need to know their weight are free to walk right on by the scale.

If it was about health and wellness then why didn't the university provide other tools to measure progress; such as the tape measures that they mentioned?

Weight is not THE ONLY metric to measure health and fitness, but it is ONE of the metrics to measure health and fitness, why ignore it and take away the ability to measure it by those who need to know it?

Some books are about topics that are really in healthy. Shall we take them away as well? Burn them perhaps?

I do. But if I was a college athlete trying to make weight I'd wanna know it at the place I'm trying to make it. Or I wouldn't know if I was done.

Why can't people who don't need to know their weight just not use the scale?
    The college didn't ban scales, which is why your book burning analogy is absurd.

This has nothing to do with people who don't need to know their weight. Why are you acting as if the college responding to people complaining about the existence of a scale? That is not what happened.

boring prudish virtue signaler stellarfeller's Avatar
    If it was about health and wellness then why didn't the university provide other tools to measure progress; such as the tape measures that they mentioned?
    Nothing in the article suggests that they don't provide tape measures or other similar tools.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    Nothing in the article suggests that they don't provide tape measures or other similar tools.
    Nothing in the article said they do.