Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Feminism Have Room for Zionists?

Does Feminism Have Room for Zionists?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/o...=Facebook&_r=0

As a proud and outspoken feminist who champions reproductive rights, equal pay, increased female representation in all levels of government and policies to combat violence against women, I would like to feel there is a place for me in the strike.

However, as someone who is also a Zionist, I am not certain there is.
    This insistence can alienate feminists, like myself, who don’t support all the causes others believe should be part of feminism. For example, some who identify as feminists may not agree with the organizers of the International Women’s Strike when they call for a $15 minimum wage. Nor do all feminists necessarily join the strike organizers in supporting the Dakota Access Pipeline protesters.

For my part, I am troubled by the portion of the International Women’s Strike platform that calls for a “decolonization of Palestine” as part of “the beating heart of this new feminist movement.” The platform also states: “We want to dismantle all walls, from prison walls to border walls, from Mexico to Palestine.”
    Continue reading the main story
    Implying that mass incarceration is analogous to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is analogous to Donald Trump’s desire to build a wall along the Mexican border is simplistic at best.

TTT, what, specifically, do you mean by zionism? What does it specifically for you does it entail in regards to the state of Israel, the occupied territories, and settlements? The reason I ask is because seeing differing explanations for it by differing commentators, it appears to mean many different things. Does zionism insist that there must be an expansion of settlements? That would be an important thing to me, because I don't understand how continued expansion of settlements is sustainable without further infringing on palestinian rights and quality of life.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

The right of the Jewish people to establish a homeland in the land of Israel. That's not just what it means to me; it's been that way since it's inception.

As for the settlements and the related politics, those are artifacts of all the wars since 1948 and are final border disputes. I am no "greater Israel" fanatic and agree with you that settlement expansion outside of negotiations will not lead to anything positive. However, the word "settlement" is used loosely in bumper sticker politics.

Can you be a Zionist Feminist? Linda Sarsour Says No

In the days after its publication, Shire’s piece has reignited a debate among feminists about the tenets of the movement. I spoke with Linda Sarsour, a Palestinian-American feminist activist, who disagrees with Shire’s claim that feminist actions shouldn’t take a hard line on Israel. Sarsour is one of the architects of the January 21 Women’s March, the biggest national demonstration in history, and also helped organize “A Day without a Woman,” an action that took place in solidarity with the International Women’s Strike.
    Well, there's the definitive answer by an organizer.

Premier Sponsor
    There are a lot of people who believe in equal rights for men and women, who have been told by fanatics that they can't be called "feminist" due to a non-gender related philosophies. Which is why many women, who believe in equal rights, not only don't associate themselves with the term, but also have a disdain for so-called "feminism".

I am so ignorant. Can you please explain to me why there is a disconnect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I am so ignorant. Can you please explain to me why there is a disconnect?
    Are you asking me or Pandora?

Does Feminism Have Room for Zionists?

I'm asking whoever knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer humanist over feminist

of or relating to human affairs, nature, welfare, or values.

a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    I'm asking whoever knows.
    It's concept of "intersectionality"... all issues are related.

“Intersectionality” is the latest academic craze sweeping the American academy. On the surface, it’s a recent neo-Marxist theory that argues that social oppression does not simply apply to single categories of identity — such as race, gender, sexual orientation, class, etc. — but to all of them in an interlocking system of hierarchy and power.
    Is Intersectionality a religion?

Therefore, one can't have the "privilege" of focusing on one struggle without also of including all others. Of course, given that one of the organizers is a convicted terrorist and some of the organizers are pro-Palestinians activists who only view the issue through their lens, the fact is that it's included is one sided. Notice, the leaders aren't discussing the actual debatable issues. They aren't interested in territorial compromise or a real negotiation on final borders.

They are trying to delegitimatizing the concept of Zionism itself, which harkens back to the discredited attempt to equate Zionism with racism. This is giving serious heartburn to many natural supporters.

Like BLM and OWS, a movement about legitimate issues is being hijacked by extreme elements who have a totally different agenda than that advertised.