Thread: Water dispenser for inside fridge?

Water dispenser for inside fridge?

I would really, really like some easy way for my kids to get themselves cold water from the refrigerator. By themselves. Without my help. Alone.

Unfortunately, our refrigerator does not have an automatic water dispenser. So I'm looking for alternatives that are less expensive than a new fridge. ;)

Water bottles don't hold enough; I have to refill regularly and then wait for them to get cold. (Clara really prefers COLD water.) The large pitcher we have in the fridge is great, but it's too heavy/awkward for the kids to lift and pour alone.

I love the idea of something like this, but reviews are mixed, with plenty of people saying it leaks. Same is true for the other brands/styles I've seen - some people love it, and some people say it leaked all over everything.

So can anyone recommend either something along those lines with strong reviews, or another idea I'm not thinking of?

(Oh, and we do have an automatic ice maker, but the ice it makes tastes funny so we don't use it. Not keen on using ice trays or on buying bags of ice regularly.)

We used to have one just like the link, and it worked fine. They have the benefit of being pretty cheap as well. We now have room in our kitchen, so we have a big cooler.

For super cold water bottles, I put them in the freezer half full, tipped partly sideways. When it freezes, the ice goes the length of the bottle. When it's time to use them, I pull one out, fill with tap water, and ta-da! Super cold.

love and darkness and my sidearm stellarfeller's Avatar
    What about something with a spigot? Like the giant coolers of orange drink that you used to get at a McDonald's kids' party? But not that big
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

We used to have a Brita that was similar to the link - it held a lot of water and it had a spigot. Never leaked. We only stopped using it because it took up a crap ton of room in the fridge. Similar to this

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    My kids were pretty small when they started to fill their water bottles regularly from the pitcher. I have them open the dishwasher door, put the water bottle down on it, and then have two free hands to manage the pitcher. When they spill some of the water, it just goes down the dishwasher drain when they close the door of the dishwasher again. They were super proud to use the big pitcher, and they got good at it surprisingly quickly.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

We've had the Brita, and it didn't leak, but I think it can be a little tricky for small children and you may end up with puddles.

when my kids were that age I had small plastic pitchers that held about two cups each, and I believe you might find something like that at Walmart.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Sorry I forgot to respond! Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into them all. :)