Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare keys

The lady who walks our dog when we are both working has our spare key - mainly to let herself in to get the dog, but she will also come let us in if we ever get locked out. And we leave our back door unlocked a lot of the time.

Before we we had the dog, we got locked out and my neighbor's 13-yr old daughter (who is a competitive runner and thin as a whip) squeezed through a tiny downstairs window that I probably couldn't get one thigh through. I was so glad she was home that day.

I keep a spare house key at school (which is 3 blocks)

i have locked myself out a couple of times over the years and it's never on a nice day. I'd get a keypad, but my brain literally cannot hold one single more password or number code.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

We have a friend about 5 minutes away that cares for our cats when we are away, he keeps a spare so we could call him if we were stuck.

My parents have a key, Mallory has one and there's one in the kitchen which does absolutely no good if we get locked out.
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry

I'd buy a smart lock before I'd hide a key anywhere outside.

We keep ours in the garage in the tool box, we have a keypad for the garage door outside on the garage.I consider that two factor authentication.... know the code and then the location of the key....
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

We have a lockbox with a key in it. Even when you put the code in correctly, it's freaking hard to open, so I feel relatively safe.

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    We keep ours in the garage in the tool box, we have a keypad for the garage door outside on the garage.I consider that two factor authentication.... know the code and then the location of the key....
    If I somehow found my way into your garage, the places I would check for a spare key, in no order (and not counting the obvious doors and doorframes):

The toolbox(es). This would be my first thing to check!
    under the doormat (if applicable)
    pegboard or other wall storage
    any flowerpots out in open eyesight, or lawn ornaments inside the garage
    visible coolers or tackleboxes
    behind and around anything hanging on the wall (pictures, bikes, whatever)
    inside a fridge or freezer--in obvious places. I wouldn't dig into a full jar of mayo or thaw packages of meat, but anything that looked out of place, I'd check
    inside vehicle (if present)

Some places I wouldn't check?

Inside an old, crusty, weighted paintcan on a top shelf or placed out of easy reach--especially if it's there with other paintcans.
    Inside a busted innertube, especially a busted bicycle innertube (unless it looked out of place)
    Taped to the "bell" part of an old, dusty, plumbing plunger in a crusty bucket, tucked out of the way

We don't have a key hidden outside. My best friend in town here has one, and DD behind us has one. Assuming our entire key ring (with DD's key on it) was missing, then I'd go to DD's in-laws down the street, borrow DD's key from them, let myself into her house and get our key. My next door neighbour had one for years as she used to feed Zoe and give her medication if we were away or going to be late but she's since moved.

Growing up, the key was always hidden in the thumb of an oven glove that hung on the wall inside the garage. Feel free to use that suggestion.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogagirl View Post
    We don't actually lock the house so...

Thank you for not making me be the only person who is basically inviting the world into my house.