Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare keys

We have a locking box that screwed into the garage

We used to have a box that we installed outside that had a key inside it. It was mounted to the wall and you had to enter a code to get it to open. It wasn't so much for us, as all key rings have all keys on them. It was so if anyone ever needed to go to my house for some reason, they could get in if I gave them the code.

If you have a trustworthy neighbor, ask him or her to keep a spare. Alternately, ask if you can stash YOUR house key under their welcome mat or something like that.

Buy a realtor's lock box. Attach it to something outdoors and firmly secure (back porch rail? Shed?).

There are plenty of safe places to stash a key. If you keep your hose on a reel, wrap it in a paper towel, put it in a baggie, and duct tape it somewhere inconspicuous there. I suggest somewhere like on the actual reel itself. No one is going to go to the hassle of unwinding your entire garden hose in the hopes of finding a spare housekey.

Get a magnetic hide-a-key lock box and stash it way up in a place on a grill where it's inconvenient and awkward to reach.

If you have a stationary bird feeder, use the paper towel-baggie trick and put it in the bottom of it, underneath the birdseed. Alternately, the magnetic box could work, as well.

I don't think I even have a house key that works on my key ring. So, if we lose power while we are out, we are screwed. We have a keypad on the garage with a code that opens the garage door. I also have a garage door opener in my car.

We keep one in the shed. It's so well hidden that ds (who knew where it was) couldn't find it once . MIL has one and so does a neighbour for backup Greg sitting duties. There's also one in the kitchen but that's not really helpful...

I know some people who have a random loose brick in their patio out back, they keep it in a small plastic bag so it doesn't get gross pressed into the dirt.

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    We don't actually lock the house so...

Premier Sponsor
    We hid a key once in the back garden and then one day when I needed it I couldn't find it. We now have a key pad.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogagirl View Post
    We don't actually lock the house so...
    Aren't you worried that the bears might let themselves in one day?
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

We are not big on locking our doors. I don't even carry a house key. I think ds has one on his key ring that used to be my key ring. Dh has one. There is one hidden outside that various people know about. I also have one hidden outside that no one knows about but me. I figure someone will forget to put the one back outside and this way I have a spare spare. lol

I am more likely to get locked out of my vehicle than my house.