Thread: Hidden Figures

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar

Hidden Figures

Has nobody mentioned this? I did a search before starting this thread.

I saw it last night with the GF, we both really liked it. I was a bit concerned - the reasons a friend of mine gave for liking it made me feel that I wouldn't like it at all.

Annoyed me though that nobody smoked during the whole movie, especially during some incredibly tense scenes. The closest they came to smoking was chain gum-chewer.

Crazy, when they invested so much into making other things so accurate for the time!

I thought it was great. The lack of smoking didn't bother me (or even register) at all

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Paroo View Post
    Annoyed me though that nobody smoked during the whole movie, especially during some incredibly tense scenes.
    I really did like this movie. But, it was Big Hollywood.

The US has become so puritanical about smoking. Hollywood rightly is concerned that the mere presence of one of the protagonists smoking might affect box office and tarnish reputations.

Anyway, it's highly unlikely that anyone involved in the production remembers sitting in school, having the B&W TV wheeled in and watching the launches ;).

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    I really did like this movie. But, it was Big Hollywood.

The US has become so puritanical about smoking. Hollywood rightly is concerned that the mere presence of one of the protagonists smoking might affect box office and tarnish reputations.

Anyway, it's highly unlikely that anyone involved in the production remembers sitting in school, having the B&W TV wheeled in and watching the launches ;).

That is way OTT for me!! So many authentic little details, and they had to replace smoking with gum chewing? Right, nobody smoked when Glenn was in danger.

And as for wheeling in the television.. Pepperidge Farm remembers! Me, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Paroo View Post
    Right, nobody smoked when Glenn was in danger.
    If they were too authentic, they couldn't have filmed the control room through the replicated smokey haze. ;)

I saw the movie with DD and really enjoyed it. It made me think of my dad, he was an engineer for what was McDonnell Douglas back then and he worked on the space program. I don't think they ever sent him to NASA but he was sent to Cape Canaveral in the mid 60's. I could totally picture him as one of those men in the white short sleeve shirts, skinny black tie and pocket protector.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    If they were too authentic, they couldn't have filmed the control room through the replicated smokey haze. ;)

And we have a winner !