Thread: Attorneys: Ford, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW All Knew Takata Airbags Were Dangerous

Attorneys: Ford, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW All Knew Takata Airbags Were Dangerous

Attorneys: Ford, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW all knew Takata air bags were dangerous
    February 27, 2017
    Uncredited
    ClickOnDetroit.com via Associated Press

DETROIT - Attorneys for people suing air bag maker Takata and five automakers say the car companies knew that Takata's products were dangerous yet continued to use them for years because they were inexpensive.

The allegations against Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford and BMW were made in a court filing Monday in Miami. The federal court there is handling pretrial evidence-gathering in dozens of lawsuits against Takata and the automakers. The filing says the allegations are partly based on auto company documents.

Earlier, the automakers had contended that Takata was the problem because it admitted to covering up the defective inflators, which can blow apart and hurl shrapnel into drivers and passengers. Takata is expected to enter a guilty plea to one criminal charge at a hearing in Detroit Monday.

Takata's air bag inflators can explode with too much force, hurling shrapnel into drivers and passengers. The inflators are blamed for at least 16 deaths worldwide and more than 180 injuries. The problem touched off the largest automotive recall in U.S. history involving 42 million vehicles and 60 million inflators.

Full story at link above.

If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Doesn't the NHTSA do any testing of these things? Air bags (even good ones) have been injuring people for years.

Technically, I'm not tall enough to sit in the front seat of a car because the air bag is dangerous for a person of my height.

Trump signs Executive Order drastically reducing federal regulations on businesses.

Our billionaire president with his billionaire cabinet strikes yet another blow against the big corporations, proving yet again to very, VERY gullible that he is the champion of the "working Joe" and a champion of the rank and file.

I'm sure his efforts will increase quality and safety because, as we all know, Big Business has our best interests at heart.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    as we all know, Big Business has our best interests at heart.
    Given the inability of Flint to deliver fresh water, California's recent evacuations for flooding due to not repairing spillways despite having billions of bonds passed for this purpose and other failing government infrastructure, I'd say government doesn't have our best interest at heart either.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Given the inability of Flint to deliver fresh water, California's recent evacuations for flooding due to not repairing spillways despite having billions of bonds passed for this purpose and other failing government infrastructure, I'd say government doesn't have our best interest at heart either.
    Well, because of the lack of legislative term limits, voter apathy among the general population, the seemingly total lack of controls over lobbyists and gigantic campaign contributions without limitation, "Big Business" and "Government" have basically become one and the same. This nation is ruled by the rich, corporate fueled Plutocracy. It is government by the rich and for the rich. It no longer really represents the best interests of the American people. Now, they have complete control over both the legislative and executive branches of the government. This terrifies me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    "Big Business" and "Government" have basically become one and the same.
    I disagree, big businesses are held accountable when they put their customers at risk. Governments are very good at shifting blame around and being totally unaccountable. It has nothing to do with term limits.

I disagree, big businesses are held accountable when they put their customers at risk.
    Given that exactly ZERO Wall Street executives were tried after the financial meltdown in 2008 with the sleazy behavior that led up to it makes me laugh out loud at this statement.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

It has nothing to do with term limits.
    I don't know how in the world you can say that.

Many of the things legislators do in terms of serving special interests stems from the fact that those special interests fund a huge amount of their reelection campaigns. If every legislator could only serve one 6-year term, it would greatly reduce that kind of influence.

Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    Given that exactly ZERO Wall Street executives were tried after the financial meltdown in 2008 with the sleazy behavior that led up to it makes me laugh out loud at this statement.
    In this case, I'd have to agree with Jasmine. When it comes to the big financial markets, government and wall street have melded. FNMA, AIG and those involved in packaging up crap mortgages should have been prosecuted in some way, shape or form. Everyone loved the bubble on the way up.

So, to your point. It's likely that zero wall street execs were taken down because some powerful members of congress would be complicit, as well.