Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: S/O Dog Rescues

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about certain rescues, if I mention my issues with some local rescues to people I know they act like I'm a monster advocating for the execution of all fuzzy and soft animals. A lot of the rescues in my area are so stringent about their rules, insanely expensive and some of the animals requiring a lot of medical care, I don't know how they find homes for any dogs at all.

We had a really negative experience when we were looking years ago, we were looking for an older rescue dog and applied at a pet fair, put a deposit and completed the interview process. They said we were approved (FIL lived with us and was home full time so she wouldn't be home alone or crated) and could pick the dog up the following Wednesday after she cleared all of the tests but they never called, I called them for a few days and finally reached someone who told me that the dog had been adopted to another family that had a fenced in property so we were out of the running but they would happily accept our deposit as a donation to their organization. Uhhh..no. We went to the SPCA that day and paid $250 for a dog that was up to date on her shots, spayed and gloriously trained.

I got into it with another rescue lately when we went to a pet fair, we brought Huntley and a woman asked us what breeder we had purchased him from. I explained that we actually came across him online and his family was giving him away for free because they were getting a divorce and neither person was willing to commit to a 5 month old puppy, she literally started yelling at me in the middle of the pet fair and said that by getting a dog online I was contributing to backyard breeders and that my ignorance about what a real rescue is causes a lot of problems for people that REALLY care about animals and that as long as breeders were making money off of people like me innocent dogs would continue to suffer. I tried to ask her how I was contributing to breeders when I got the dog for FREE but she was so busy ranting at me that she didn't answer so we just walked away. We were at another adoption fair last year and overheard two volunteers (loudly whispering) that they hoped we didn't apply for a dog adoption because Huntley could use to lose a pound or two and they didn't want one of their babies to go to a family that would turn them into fat pigs.

If and when I get another dog it will be through the SPCA, I know there are people that work/volunteer for rescues that are amazing people but I was so turned off by these people I wouldn't go through that process again.

And sadly, it's crazy crap like this that will keep puppy mills in business. I bought Beau and Belle from a farmer whose Persian show cat got in the family way before being spayed by the Siamese show cat. I think we and certainly Beau and Belle got the good end of the deal.

Years ago I reached out to a standard poodle rescue and was deemed "not acceptable" from a phone interview. All because we were in the process of building a fence and the dog might possibly be outside on a lead until said fence was completed. Not "thinking about" building a fence, but actively in the process.

Craziness!

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    And sadly, it's crazy crap like this that will keep puppy mills in business. I bought Beau and Belle from a farmer whose Persian show cat got in the family way before being spayed by the Siamese show cat. I think we and certainly Beau and Belle got the good end of the deal.
    Yes. I'm not hell bent on a certain breed, what I want something fairly specific (very large, non-shedding, lazy), so it helps know what breed an animal is, and it seems like 95% of the dogs in shelters are either pit bull of chihuahua mixes. I'd love to eventually rescue. But I've known so many people rejected for ridiculous things that I think it's almost not worth it to try the breed-specific rescues. As a result, I might consider a breeder, though I'd do some research so I could find a more responsible breeder. (Ideally I'd get a puppy that had markings it not-suited for showing, or a retired breeding animal.) My parents' last dog was a retired stud dog that they got via a breed rescue (from whom they'd gotten previous pets). I'd consider getting an animal from them, because I doubt they'd care that we might move a lot. That's something many rescue groups have a problem with, as they fear people won't be able to find a rental that allows a dog (especially a large one) or won't be willing to pay the costs associated with move.

Premier Sponsor
    My cousin (and neighbor) were looking for a puppy similar to your situation. They farm and it would be a farm dog. Spending most of its time outdoors. They had a doghouse. The agency turned them down saying dogs were meant to be part of their family & staying outside disqualified them. They would rather have that dog sit in a shelter. It seems so ridiculous 🙄 I grew up on a farm. We always kept our pets outside. Eric & I also had a dog that spent everyday at his mechanic shop with him. He got filthy dirty and I couldn't (didn't want) have that oil and such in the house. Buddy was well loved & cared for. He just wasn't an inside dog ;). On super cold nights or storms we had an extra room in the basement for him. 90% of his time was spent outdoors.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

Trying to find a pure bred puppy was definitely eye opening for us. Before Yuki, we had always gone to the pound and adopted one from there. Well, they don't have pugs. Matthew had been requesting a pug for 5 years, so a pug is what we needed to find. Sadly, we did not even know about the pug rescue here in town until after we got Yuki. We go to events with them all the time now. I really like them.

Now, they are pretty intense people. Their adoption fee is $300. Their process seems pretty thorough, but I think it's because they have had so many people fail and return the dogs to them. I think they are trying to avoid that. Pugs are also pretty high maintenance dogs, especially the ones they get (old and often sick and disabled). A lot of people want the adorable pug, but don't really do the research to know that they can be a nightmare to care for when it comes to vet bills and maintenance.

I think the main problem is that rescues are dealing with people and we all know just how bad people can be. I think the rescues get jaded and cynical. It sucks, but I can see how it happens.

As for being outside or being crated, I think that depends. Sydney would have been a wonderful farm dog. She would have loved being outside all the time and having all that land. The pug? She is not and should NEVER be an outside dog. I also have never been able to follow through with crating, but many of my friends do and their dogs seem happy. I don't get that one.

We did what you're not supposed to do - bought our dog from a pet store. But the SPCA pretty much only had large pit bulls and the rescues turned their noses up at us because we don't have a fence and we both work.

We ended up with a yorkie/poodle mix - a small dog who wants nothing more out of life than to sit on our laps, sleep with us at night and receive endless affection. Our kind of dog. lol I don't know if she was from a puppy mill, but I do know she's a happy, healthy dog who deserves a home as much as any other dog.
    "It's an election year, I don't need facts." -- TTT

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi View Post
    I don't know if she was from a puppy mill.
    Yes, she was. That's where stores get their dogs, almost exclusively. I say "almost" because there might be the odd place that takes especially saleable puppies from backyard breeders. But if they do, then they can't claim they sell "only dogs from USDA certified breeders" which is common in pet stores. Puppy mills are regulated by the USDA, so as long as they minimally feed and shelter the dogs, they're all good.

I was surprised when dh and I went to a mall in Fargo a couple of years ago, and saw row after row of puppies in cages in a pet store. Retail pet sales for dogs and cats just aren't a thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    I think the main problem is that rescues are dealing with people and we all know just how bad people can be. I think the rescues get jaded and cynical. It sucks, but I can see how it happens.
    I'm cynical and jaded from my working in animal world, but still not the s that a lot of rescue people are. You gotta be a certain kind of person to do rescue, and I think that sort never liked people much in the first place.

The people I've met working in shelters, OTOH, some of them care just as much, but aren't quite the same sort of intense that you mention. It's a career as well as a calling, and I've found have a lot more balanced view of people and pets.

Both shelters I worked for would allow dogs to be adopted as farm dogs, as long as certain conditions were met - like that the dog had at least one other dog or other appropriate animals to live with for company, had adequate shelter (which in our climate means open access to a heated barn or garage), and of course, that the dog was a breed/mix sturdy enough to live outside. There were far too many idiots trying to adopt mastiff-type dogs to be outside dogs. Yeah, with that sort of coat. I got yelled at a lot.

I always wanted a poodle so I bought one. I still feel guilty about it, but he's my baby. I love that dog so much! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk