Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28 injured, 21 hospitalized after vehicle crashes into crowd at Endymion parade

28 injured, 21 hospitalized after vehicle crashes into crowd at Endymion parade

Twenty-one people were injured Saturday night (Feb. 25) when a suspected drunken driver crashed a pickup truck into spectators at the Krewe of Endymion parade in the Mid-Citysection of New Orleans, police said. The crash was reported at about 6:45 p.m. at North Carrollton and Orleans avenues.Story byBeau Evans
    - and -
    Jonathan Bullington
    NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

"Initial reports show so far about a dozen people are in critical condition," police spokeswoman Ambria Washington said. "That number could increase as the investigation is ongoing."
    Officials later said 28 people, including a police officer and a child, were taken to seven hospitals. Five were in critical condition. Seven declined treatment. The police officer's injuries were not considered life-threatening.

More than 20 hurt when vehicle plows into Endymion parade crowd

The wreck came on the final weekend of Carnival and during one of New Orleans biggest parades. Endymion, known for its huge floats as well its delays, paused for about 10 minutes when the crash occurred, spectators said.
    Greg McNeely said he was watching the parade when a pickup sped through the intersection. He said he heard three crashes then a fourth loud crash, and saw the truck had come to rest against a garbage bin. Several people were pinned between the truck and the garbage bin or beneath the truck.
    A young man was behind the wheel. "He took out rows of people," McNeely said.
    Harrison said the driver was arrested. "We suspect that that subject was highly intoxicated," he said. Mayor Mitch Landrieu said there was not evidence to suggest terrorism.
    http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ss...cart_big-photo

😥
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Oh my god, this is terrible! I'm so glad no one was killed. At least I hope it stays that way.
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

How awful . They suspect a drunk driver?

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    How awful . They suspect a drunk driver?
    Yeah.
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

This is just so heartbreaking to me. There is nothing more joyous and jubilant that New Orleans has to offer the world than Mardi Gras, and Endymion is among the most joyous of Mardi Gras parades. For something like this to happen at a Mardi Gras parade... it is devastating and soul killing. I have cried all day. The only time that I felt worse, besides personal tragedies, was in the aftermath of Katrina when the music stopped in New Orleans.

Local senseless tragedies always hit us hard. Especially at events designed for joy and fun. Sorry for you and the NOLA community.

Tragic.

Makes me think of a Steven King novel I read. Not trying to make light of it but that is the first thing that popped into my head.

how awful. Last update I read said no one was killed. I hope that's true. How terrifying for everyone involved.
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry