Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student arrested after paper plane hits teacher in the eye

Student arrested after paper plane hits teacher in the eye

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...-eye/21660754/

Police arrested a 17-year-old student in South Carolina on Tuesday, Jan. 10, after throwing a paper plane that struck his teacher in the eye.

Facing up to a month of jail time, high school student David Michael Elliot was charged with a misdemeanor after his instructor, Edward McIver, reported the in-class incident to police.
    The kid was no saint and needed to be disciplined prior to this. But, third degree assault and battery?

More information is needed. If I had my eye poked out by a 17yo with a paper airplane, I'd be pretty cranky about it.

As ever - it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Seems like overkill. That said, if the kid has had prior behavior issues and admits to intending to hit the teacher in the head, he shouldn't be in the classroom.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    More information is needed. If I had my eye poked out by a 17yo with a paper airplane, I'd be pretty cranky about it.

As ever - it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
    I'd be very cranky, too. The question is whether it's criminal.

The teacher had recently had eye surgery, this kid deliberately threw a paper airplane at him, there had been prior incidents apparently. I understand the teacher being angry, and do feel like it could rise to the level of an assault depending on the entirety of the circumstances.
    Man, am I glad I teach kindergarten. Little people, little problems, (most of the time. We do have some big circumstances.)

Premier Sponsor
    A 17yo with a history of assault deliberately throwing a paper airplane into the eye of a teacher he knew just had eye surgery is very different from a 6yo casually throwing an airplane and accidentally hitting that same teacher in the eye--even if the outcome for the teacher is the same. The 17yo ought to be held accountable. The younger student not so much.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    A 17yo with a history of assault deliberately throwing a paper airplane into the eye of a teacher he knew just had eye surgery is very different from a 6yo casually throwing an airplane and accidentally hitting that same teacher in the eye--even if the outcome for the teacher is the same. The 17yo ought to be held accountable. The younger student not so much.
    This.

Word.
    I would think, also, that teachers would forgive an errant airplane thrown by a student with no previous behavior problems, and not press charges. This was not the case, it was deliberate, and the 17yo should have known it would not go over well.

Ahh, and there's the "more information".

If I thought it was just horseplay from a kid who hadn't given me grief in the past, I'd let it go.

If it's kid who had had prior offenses did it on purpose, sounds like assault.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    Ahh, and there's the "more information".

If I thought it was just horseplay from a kid who hadn't given me grief in the past, I'd let it go.

If it's kid who had had prior offenses did it on purpose, sounds like assault.

Many people immediately think "poor baby" and "evil system". Sometimes it's true, but sometimes it's totally not.

You have to protect your teachers. If those kinds of kids get the sense that they can get away with anything, then it will be open season on teachers.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."