Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nearly half of Netflix watchers ‘cheat’ on their significant other

Nearly half of Netflix watchers ‘cheat’ on their significant other

Thought this was funny, my wife did this to me during "This is Us". I was wondering why it seemed the show skipped the "pool episode" on my TiVo. My admitted to watching ahead and she selected "delete" at the end instead of keeping it.

Is nothing, even television, sacred anymore?

A Netflix survey says just about half of U.S. binge-watchers admit to “cheating” on their significant other by jumping ahead on a show they agreed to watch together.

The reason why is both unsatisfying as it is predictable: A lack of self-control. Nearly 70% said they just needed to see what happens next.

Tisk tisk.

But there’s good news, the U.S. ranks fifth on the cheating list, falling far behind Mexico and Brazil, where nearly 60% of people admit to cheating. Europe, it appears, is where you’ll find binge-watching honesty. The most faithful countries were the Netherlands, Poland and Germany.

Cheat-watching is an out-of-control phenomenon, increasing three-fold since 2013. The cheaters aren’t even bashful anymore. Nearly half of them admit to multiple offenses and 63% said they’d do it more if they could get off scot-free. Only a third keep their cheating a secret.

But it turns out couples can be forgiving. About 46% of those surveyed said cheating isn’t a big deal. However, a feisty 14% said it's worse than forgetting a birthday or anniversary. Dang.

The methods for cheating can be innocent or downright diabolical. The most common way is continuing to watch after the other falls asleep. But 16% hide in another room to do the deed, while a more dignified 14% wait until the other person goes out of town.

So what’s driving all this dishonest behavior? Dramas mostly. The top five cheat-worthy shows are: The Walking Dead, Orange is the New Black, Breaking Bad, House of Cards and Marvel’s Daredevil.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

love and darkness and my sidearm stellarfeller's Avatar
    My husband finally watched Stranger Things this weekend, so of course I watched it with him, except I had to yell at him when something important happened because he was too busy playing some stupid game on his ipad and kept missing things
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

I watched Stranger Things without my husband because he's so not a paranormal dude. I was about 3 episodes deep when he realized and got all pissy that I had watched it without him. Apparently at work people were talking it up and so he thought he would watch it . He did end up watching it - and I rewatched most of it with him. Then yesterday he started Riverdale without asking if I was interested - but I don't care - I'll just watch it on my own when I feel like it

I don't even understand this. I watch things without my husband all the time. I don't make it a secret. I'm open to rewatching if he wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    I don't even understand this. I watch things without my husband all the time. I don't make it a secret. I'm open to rewatching if he wants to.

Dd watched Breaking Bad by herself, and got me interested. Then we were almost all the way through before dh got interested. So I watched it with him, too. If something is good, I'll rewatch happily.

It's when you agree to watch at the same time and one of you cannot wait.

My wife has shows I don't watch and don't plan on watching but she likes a lot of the shows I want to watch so I just wait for her to catch up on her shows
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Yeah, I guess we just don't wait, nor do we have expectations of the other.

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    DH is great at starting a series and deciding 2 or 3 episodes in that he doesn't want to watch it anymore. So just when I'm hooked, he quits. Then he gets mad when he finds out I finished the series. Dude, you quit!

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    Yeah, I guess we just don't wait, nor do we have expectations of the other.
    Right. I don't understand why it's an issue if one watches it earlier and then rewatches when the other spouse can. What is the big deal? I think it's weird that there's this pact that neither will watch until the other can watch with them.

My wife won't see Marvel comic book movies without me because she likes when I point out Easter eggs. I probably annoy the hell out of people sitting near us which is why we go really early when hardly anybody is there

Ann Landers