Thread: Easy, make ahead, hot hors d'oeuvres?

Easy, make ahead, hot hors d'oeuvres?

I've got an event coming up, and it got a bunch of "stations" at different homes, one of which is mine. I'll likely not be in my house until I sneak out about 15 minutes before the crowd heads here. I've got sweet things covered, along with a drink, but I need something savory, and I'd like it to be hot, if possible, but I need it to be made ahead, and to be ready to serve in about 15 minutes. So I'm imagining something I can make the day before, and the when I get to the house I can heat the oven (5 minutes), and have cooked/heated after about 10 minutes in the oven. It also needs to be something that is a good finger food, as there will be activities and speaking while we eat.

Also, I am an unenthusiastic cook, and my ability to find more unusual ingredients is somewhat limited here.

Help?

Google Bisquick Sausage ball. Can add spices as you like (or as you can find). Easy and reheats well.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    I'd do something I could leave in a crock pot, like meatballs or a hot dip. One million recipes for those things.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-ho...ker-appetizers
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

I know it's not hot, but tortilla pinwheels would likely fit your other requirements. They are SO easy and always a huge hit.

This is the recipe I prefer:
    http://www.julieseatsandtreats.com/tortilla-pinwheels/

Ingredients

• 1 c. sour cream
    • 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
    • 4 oz can diced green chilies, drained
    • 4 oz can chopped black olives, drained
    • 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
    • 1/2 c. chopped green onions
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp seasoned salt
    • 8 (10in.) flour tortillas

Instructions

• Mix all filling ingredients together, except tortillas. Divide filling and spread evenly over tortillas; roll up tortillas.
    • Roll each tortilla up in plastic wrap, twisting the ends. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
    • Unwrap; cut into slices. Lay pinwheels flat on glass serving plate.

Chili sauce, grape jelly crockpot meatballs.

Or bob armstrong dip- queso with taco meat and guac added (also in the crock pot)

Any hot dip in a crock pot would work. If you were thinking more like mini-tarts and such, you could have them all ready to go, and pop them in the oven for the 15 minutes you have.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

I feel like something like pinwheels would work better because it's more finger food and can be easily passed on a tray and cleanly eaten sitting on my sofa . There will be announcements and lots of getting up and down and calling people to come to the front, and a single bit entity, or something like pigs and a blanket (but perhaps a bit fancier) that can be just sort of popped in one's mouth with minimal fuss seems like it would work best.

I'll look in to those sausage balls.

You could do dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in prosciutto and broiled - those are about two bites and on a toothpick.

That sounds delicious, and perfect. Sadly, I'd likely have to travel to Yokohama for goat cheese.

I miss good cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I feel like something like pinwheels would work better because it's more finger food and can be easily passed on a tray and cleanly eaten sitting on my sofa . There will be announcements and lots of getting up and down and calling people to come to the front, and a single bit entity, or something like pigs and a blanket (but perhaps a bit fancier) that can be just sort of popped in one's mouth with minimal fuss seems like it would work best.

I'll look in to those sausage balls.
    That's exactly why I suggested then :D When you said that, I was picturing someone trailing dip or little smokie "gravy" all over your house.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    That sounds delicious, and perfect. Sadly, I'd likely have to travel to Yokohama for goat cheese.

I miss good cheese.
    I've had them minus the cheese and they're still delicious!