Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids on Bourbon Street

Kids on Bourbon Street

So last night DH and I and friends went drinking on Bourbon Street. It's about 1am.

We were up on a balcony throwing beads to other drunken people and a woman walks up under the balcony pushing a stroller with a small child (3?) and screams for beads. She's got her spouse, and another kid about 12 carrying a third kid about 7 trailing behind her.

This is totally inappropriate, right? I'm not just super judgey?

I mean there's hookers and screaming and drinks in the street and this is not a "family friendly" environment....

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Yeah that's pretty late and pretty weird. I wouldn't feel comfortable having my son around a bunch of drunk people.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I think it's inappropriate due to the time (1am on Bourboun Street is different place than 1pm on Bourboun Street!), and the ages of the kids. Plus it sounds like the parents were hammered too if they were screaming for beads. I don't care if my kids are around drunk people in certain situations but not Bourboun Street late at night. I would totally judge them.

Quote Originally Posted by emmjay View Post
    I don't care if my kids are around drunk people in certain situations but not Bourboun Street late at night. I would totally judge them.
    Yeah, this. I'll judge.

My dd learned quite young that there were "adult drinks" and "adult words" Dh and I played adult recreational softball - lots of drinking and swearing in that atmosphere. . Still far from what Bourbon street at night sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, not cool. I can only hope they were maybe on their way to a hotel or something.

So where were you drinking on a balcony? A friend and I are driving to New Orleans in a few weeks...touring some plantations on the way down. I would love to drink on one of those balconies.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    Yeah, not cool. I can only hope they were maybe on their way to a hotel or something.

So where were you drinking on a balcony? A friend and I are driving to New Orleans in a few weeks...touring some plantations on the way down. I would love to drink on one of those balconies.
    Honestly I'm not sure which place it was. There's pictures on fb if you can deduce location lol!!!! I cannot remember - we were in and out of a lot of places

DH didn't like it coz the quality of the balcony construction was not up to his German standards
    The whoke thing shook whenever someone stepped on or off

Up until my daughter was 4 and started kindly, we took her on the road with us. We had a weekend layover in New Orleans, and walked all over the city. We headed down Bourbon Street a ways, it was mid afternoon as I recall,and at first it was a bit rowdy but nothing too crazy, and then we began noticing the bars were getting raunchier and raunchier! Granted most was likely over her head, but yeah we stopped, I took my kiddo everywhere, but yeah NO!! I could not imagine even thinking of attempting it at night!

Last time I was on Bourbon Street at 1am I really wasn't in a position to be judgmental of others.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    Last time I was on Bourbon Street at 1am I really wasn't in a position to be judgmental of others.

There are lots of fun things to do with kids during Mardi Gras in New Orleans, but the French Quarter is not the place for them.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...