Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bomb threats again rattle Jewish centers

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    You just lost all credibility right here...

A lot of things can be said about Donald Trump, but a white supremacist? Nah.
    Really?! The appointed STEVE BANNON to his cabinet, a racist sack of shit.

What has become apparent is that the Republican Right will never EVER admit that they made a horrible mistake with this man. It doesn't matter what he does or who he appoints. The last thing I want is "credibility" with a group of people who actually believe in "alternative facts".
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Really?! The appointed STEVE BANNON to his cabinet, a racist sack of shit.

What has become apparent is that the Republican Right will never EVER admit that they made a horrible mistake with this man. It doesn't matter what he does or who he appoints. The last thing I want is "credibility" with a group of people who actually believe in "alternative facts".

Yes, really. Trump's appointment of Steve Bannon doesn't make Trump a white supremacist. To say so is just an outrageously illogical conclusion.

And if you don't want credibility, you're part of the problem. You need to be taken seriously if you really want to affect change. Otherwise, you're no better than the people you criticize who believe alternative facts.

If he's not a white supremacist, he's at least very comfortable with giving power to white supremacists.

He's certainly racist - I mean, the whole birther thing was driven by racism.

And I would say that there are a subset of people who feel emboldened to be a little more aggressive with their racism/sexism now. SPLC has documented a big increase of reports of anti-semitic activity.

He has no conscience and loves the power which strokes his ego. He's an opportunist. That's not the same thing as being racist or a white supremacist. And there is no way that I believe every person who fed into that birther nonsense did so because of racism.

Xenophobia and racism share a lot of similarities.

I know it's not a popular thing to say out loud but there is a commonly shared concern that immigration can change the community you live in not for better or worse but make it very different.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

California Student Council Votes 13-0 to Dump Sabra Hummus From Dining Services

The student government at University of California at Riverside voted to approve a resolution calling for the removal of Sabra brand hummus from campus dining services.

The resolution passed last week by a vote of 13 to 0 with one abstention. The removal was requested because the Sabra company’s joint owner is the Israel-based Strauss Group, which allegedly supports the Israeli military.

The resolution was supported by the campus organization Students for Justice in Palestine.
    I've been posting about this intolerance (and, frankly, ignorance) before Trump was a candidate. Sabra is an American company owned 50% by PepsiCo. These actions are just as chilling as swastikas.

On another note, friends in Chicago posted this weekend how a synagogue there was vandalized... swastikas and broken windows.

There is some serious anti-Semitism happening in the universities out in your state, T3. I really am not aware of it happening to that magnitude elsewhere. But considering how this stuff doesn't seem to make the news, it might just be that it's going unreported.

There is some serious anti-Semitism happening in the universities out in your state, T3.
    Unfortunately, this is going in major campuses all around the country and it isn't new. The difference is that it has gotten so bad that even my Progressive friends can't deny it any more. Most communities now give classes for High School Juniors and Seniors on what to expect when they go to a college campus.

The rise of JCC and Synagogue vandalism is disgusting. Hope they get to the bottom of all this.

He has no conscience and loves the power which strokes his ego. He's an opportunist. That's not the same thing as being racist or a white supremacist. And there is no way that I believe every person who fed into that birther nonsense did so because of racism.
    Okay. We'll have to disagree, I guess. I mean yes, maybe not EVERY person who fed into it the birther nonsense was full on white supremacist - I certainly think some politicians were opportunists, and others seriously believe Obama was Muslim and wanted to do anything to stop him, but racism was clearly a motivating factor.

Trump is absolutely racist, IMO, in addition to other terrible qualities he has. In his world, all black people live in ghettos; all Muslims are pre-guilty of terrorism. Maybe it's not an animating factor, maybe it's just easy for him to latch on to to use it for his own purposes, but if the end result is racist, I have to go with calling him racist.

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    Okay. We'll have to disagree, I guess. I mean yes, maybe not EVERY person who fed into it the birther nonsense was full on white supremacist - I certainly think some politicians were opportunists, and others seriously believe Obama was Muslim and wanted to do anything to stop him, but racism was clearly a motivating factor.

Trump is absolutely racist, IMO, in addition to other terrible qualities he has. In his world, all black people live in ghettos; all Muslims are pre-guilty of terrorism. Maybe it's not an animating factor, maybe it's just easy for him to latch on to to use it for his own purposes, but if the end result is racist, I have to go with calling him racist.
    There are plenty of people who are ignorant and believe stereotypes who are not racist. Puh-lenty. Too many.

I think we need to stop labeling everyone a racist who may believe a stereotype if we actually want to have a dialogue with them and point out how those stereotypes are wrong. All that's done for us is get people defensive and shutdown. Not helpful.