Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use propane for heat?

Does anyone use propane for heat?

We're looking at a new house and it's propane fueled. They took out the oil tank and put in a giant underground propane tank so it could be bought in bulk, I guess. I understand it's cleaner and more energy friendly. But I also think it's double the cost of oil and natural gas, which is what we use now. There is no fireplace. Seems to be owned by a v. environmentally friendly guy so I imagine that's why he did it. Can anyone shed some light on pros and cons?

We have a propane tank in our California house for our pool, but natural gas for the house. Most people "in the country" use propane for heat & cooking. I think propane & natural gas are pretty similar price wise and I much prefer it to electric stoves & heating units (we have electric in Florida). I know the pricing on propane is seasonal, so if you can wait to fill up in the summer, you can usually get a better price. I also know that getting in good with the truck driver makes him call you when there's a price drop, or a hike getting ready to go into effect.

We use propane for heating and cooking. I've always had propane so I don't know how it compares to anything else so I'm not much help there. I prepaid for 500 gallons last winter and I still haven't used that much yet, but we have had mild winters lately and my house is not very big. I'm on the keep full plan because it sucks running out during a cold spell! Prices are seasonal. I think the most I ever paid was close to $4 a gallon which is ridiculously high. It's usually around $1.50 a gallon.
    Kim

There's a boy here in town says he'll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by
    The sharp knife of a short life
    ~The Band Perry

jjchris and kim are right. It's comparable to natural gas in areas where there isn't natural gas infrastructure. Oil is outrageously expensive around here, comparison wise to those.

Premier Sponsor
    I heat & cook with propane. When my husband was alive we used a Force air wood burner. I'm not into cutting wood so now it's strictly propane. Last Tuesday my tank went completely empty 😳 I should have kept a better eye on the gauge but the company that fills me screwed up (I was on keep fill). To fill a 500 gallon tank cost something like $470. I live in the country so other then burning wood it's my only option.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    We have a propane furnace that heats an addition and we cook with propane. I find its a little less than oil cost wise but not a huge difference. It is cleaner.

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    Just checked my last bill. 2.19 a gallon for propane. We end up paying 2.09 because of some loyal customer discount.

Are you moving? !

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    I've been on propane for 10 years. We own our own tank so we can use any propane company (although we've stayed with one company). If you rent the tank, you are usually captive to the company you rent from. We are on "Mr. Max" which means they guarantee that they will keep us filled to some percentage (60%?). I pay $1.69/gallon this year.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Sprockey View Post
    Are you moving? !
    Yes, now that DD is graduating we can leave the high tax town. I'd like a home better suited to forcing myself to entertain.