Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I saw this video of a teenaged boy freaking out

So, I saw this video of a teenaged boy freaking out

I don't have a link to the video because I only got sixty seconds through it before it got too disturbing to look at anymore. The thing was played off as a joke: this is the way Dallas Cowboy fans feel now. Hardee-har-har.

This is a video, apparently secretly recorded by the boys' parents, and posted online to humiliate the boy. While everyone else was laughing and joking about this, I just felt deeply disturbed that the video existed at all. I get that teenagers like this boy dramatically overeact on a regular basis. But my take, is that it doesn't matter if the boy had a "legitimate" reason for this OTT freakout, this was how this boy felt at this moment. Whatever it was, it, at that moment, hurt him this badly. Yes, his behavior is embarrassing. But why on earth would parents secretly record this and post it on the internet? I couldn't watch the whole video because I felt like a voyeur peeking at this boys' emotional outburst. It just made me so sick. Who would post this on the internet? Who would secretly record their kid like this?

Maybe I am overreacting but it seems to me that there is a level of cruelty on display. I want to believe that the whole thing is a hoax, and that the boy was just acting for the purpose of the video. But I could hear the tremor in his voice. He seemed genuinely upset at whatever problem he was having. My heart went out to him, not because I believe something happened to him that was proportional to his response, but because he was really hurting, and I just don't see the point of trying humiliate him by showing this video to the whole world. Am I over-reacting?
    If you are not willing to fall flat on your face, then the only thing you will have is a pretty face.

Not having seen the video you reference, I cannot say how I feel about it specifically. However, I hope this trend of recording everything that happens and sharing it publicly ends soon, especially when the sharing seems callous, insensitive, and as if it is intended to mock or shame.

We have placed a certain value on "attention" online so some people are looking to become the next viral sensation so they can get on Good Morning America
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

I really have this thing about parents exploiting their own kids just for the sake of getting a lot of hits on Facebook. It shows a real lack of character as far as I'm concerned.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

I hate the online shaming, especially at the hands of a parent

If your kids can't feel safe to act out and be upset at home with their family, where can they do so? Even if it's out of line and the parents have to set some limits, then that is a private family matter. This parental version of cyber-bullying is disgusting and cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by TapToTalk View Post
    If your kids can't feel safe to act out and be upset at home with their family, where can they do so? Even if it's out of line and the parents have to set some limits, then that is a private family matter. This parental version of cyber-bullying is disgusting and cruel.
    Totally agree! Especially the bolded.

I would also add that it puts an emphasis on performance. Every act a child makes (good or bad) is in the end of performance that parents can display to whomever they want by putting it online. Ugh. yuck

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    We have placed a certain value on "attention" online so some people are looking to become the next viral sensation so they can get on Good Morning America
    Yeah, it seems everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame. When it is at their kid's expense it is disgusting.

I hate this trend also - even if it's their kid doing something "cute" - like the little girl who went viral a month or so ago that sobbed when she got a puppy. Does she need that following her around on the internet for the rest of her life?

I can't imagine taking a video of my son at a low point and using it to humiliate him . I can see how some parents would record it to show the child how they look when they act like that - but to post it online is such an incredible violation.

Saw this today. Make sure you watch it past the hair cut part.