Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

I can't get the Mike Myers book to load properly on my ereader . I started reading Waiting for the Light by Romeo Dallaire which is about his struggles with PTSD. Not for the faint of heart

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    Almost done with The Roanoke Girls (sick, but I can't put it down ).

The lecture I went to last night was the Lucy Kalathi who was the wife of Paul Kalathi, who wrote "When breath becomes air." She was fantastic and I have the book so that's up next
    I read that for book club in April and absolutely loved it. Lucy's epilogue was heartbreaking.

Just finished it. The book was amazing. It should a must read for anyone in the medical profession. Perhaps not the best choice for me as it's ramping up my pre onc appointment anxiety for my 6 month appointment tomorrow.

Good thing I have book club tonight and will imbibe some time while I'm there.

The last few books I read were The Roanoke Girls, The Perfect Husband, Ava Gardner: The Secret Conversations, and The Widow.

I am currently reading The Hate U Give.

I finished reading Waiting for First Light . Oh my god - so powerful. It's his memoir of his struggles with PTSD and he leaves nothing out. He also discusses how the government has been (not) dealing with veterans, etc. There are lots of memories of the genocide - graphic memories - and while I'm not a big one for trigger warnings - there are some quite graphic scenes that will haunt me until the day I die.

I also finished my re-read of The Fellowship of the Ring - it was the first fantasy book I ever read an I found it a hard go the first time around when I was in my early 20's. Now that I've read a lot of fantasy I realize that the problem was with the reader not the book . I felt like I was coming home . I promptly started The Two Towers.

I'm also reading Guantanamo's Child by Michelle Shepherd about Omar Kadr. It's been on my list for awhile but it seemed appropriate to read it now with the settlement he just received. It's part of my #canada150 project.

LaRose was really engaging, although the end felt somewhat tacked on after the moments of grace leading up to it.

Next two book should be lazy reads: Stripping Gypsy (biography of Gypsy Rose Lee) and Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore, my Twitter buddy.

I'm reading Richard Bachmans (Stephen Kings) The Regulators. I think I have already read it many years ago, but don't remember much about it.
    The usual gore and fantasy of a King novel.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    TWO NIGHTS by Kathy Reichs. Great stuff. New hero, Sunday Night. But if it took me this long to get "Bnos Aliza", how long will it take the average reader?!

Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore. Lighthearted and fun romp about collecting dead souls and what happens when the deathmerchants that are supposed to collect them don't do their job.