Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

I finished the Murder in Time and actually really liked it. It started off slow but then really picked up. It's a time travel book - smart FBI agent somehow (and that part is actually the weakest part of the book) gets shifted back to Regency England in time to solve a murder. I'm pretty good at ignoring weak parts though and I found it fun.

I finished Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood yesterday afternoon. It was good, although a little toothless, the set piece of the story, a video production of The Tempest put on by prisoners which included a second production of revenge, was not what I expected - the consequences for everyone involved seemed very limited.

I picked up Louise Erdich's LaRose and Roddy Doyle's The Deportees and Other Stories.

My library card experiment is working out incredibly well. I've read more books this year so far than I probably did for the past two years put together.

I swear for every book I finish I've started 2 more that I haven't finished . I started Rohinton Mistery's A Fine Balance - it was on a list of great Canadian novels and a friend said it was her favourite book so I decided to read it as part of my #canada150 project. So the author is Canadian and that's about it. The book takes place in India and is about India. No Canadians are in the book and AFAIK no one travels to Canada so it seems a little fringe to be on a best Canadian books list. But that's not the point - the point is it was depressing AF. I got over 100 pages into it and it was still all back story and I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel so I ditched it.

I moved onto Slow Horses by Mick Herron which is about some MI5 agents who have effed up and have been exiled - but they're trying to make their way back. It has an odd rhythm but I'm enjoying it. In non-fiction I'm reading a book called Scared Heard Amid the Guns about Canada's history with UN peacekeeping.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    I read A Fine Balance years ago - it was very well written, but ultimately pretty depressing. If you're looking for a sweeping saga set in India, I recommend A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Yes it is absolutely well written - I'm just not up for a sweeping Dickensonian type India book .

The Deportees and Other Stories by Roddy Doyle. I read the first story, Larry Linnane Loved His Daughters, while we were waiting for the graduation to start last night. It made me laugh and cry, which is my traditional Roddy Doyle experience. I have a busy weekend but will probably finish the book before I go to bed Sunday night.

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

I put that on hold at both my libraries as soon as I saw the video . I finished Slow Horses - it was quite good but it was oddly written. There would be POV transitions with no notification - like one sentence would end talking about one guy and the next sentence would start with another. There were also a few fake outs that caused me to double back and re-read pages - it was a fast paced mystery type thing but it you did have to pay attention. It seemed a little contrived at points but over all I enjoyed it.

Finished The Candy Montgomery is Ashore book, and haves moved on to A Murder in Time, as recommended by WOG. I am a sucker for anything time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    Finished The Candy Montgomery is Ashore book, and haves moved on to A Murder in Time, as recommended by WOG. I am a sucker for anything time travel.
    Totally different story when Candy Montgomery goes ashore eh