Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

What Are You Reading? 2017!

I am reading Moby Dick, and loving it.

I'm about to start A Man Called Ove ...and a book on playing mah jong for my new mah jong group

I am starting the new year by reading everything I have not gotten to, or finished in my Kindle carousel. This means reading through quite a motley assortment! Currently reading some Sci Fi King Arthur romance novel, it's fun fluff, that reminds me of my love of Mists of Avalon when I was in my early twenties. Its going to be interesting, but I download stuff, and forget about all the time, so wasteful!

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    I am reading Moby Dick, and loving it.
    I made it as far as "They call me Ishmael"

Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    I am starting the new year by reading everything I have not gotten to, or finished in my Kindle carousel. This means reading through quite a motley assortment! Currently reading some Sci Fi King Arthur romance novel, it's fun fluff, that reminds me of my love of Mists of Avalon when I was in my early twenties. Its going to be interesting, but I download stuff, and forget about all the time, so wasteful!
    Yes I've set a January resolution of reading stuff that has been languishing on my TBR list for some time. I lost a lot of books in the Computer Reset of 2016 - but I need to stop skipping over ones whenever something new and shiny comes in - so I've sorted them alphabetically by author and I'm off. I'm going to read them or turf them. February can be new shiny month (I've already designated March as "Memoir March").

So first up... The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum. (I had a Margaret Atwood book that should have come first but I need to re-read the first two in the trilogy first so I skipped it)

Oh that could be fun! Theme months!

I can't settle, so I am reading 4 books at once. I am reading Wondrous Beauty: The Life and Adventures of Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte by Carol Berkin, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, and rereading The Witching Hour by Anne Rice.

I couldn't get into Life After Life - there was one part that made me super angry and that was the straw that broke the camel's back . It came highly recommended to me by my book twin - but it just fell flat for me . Dark Matter was super thought provoking.

I am only reading Life After Life because I checked out A God in Ruins and realized Life After Life came first.

Wonderful Wizard of Oz was meh. But it was short meh so I finished it . Now I'm reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Bradbury. In nonfiction I did the same author sort and I'm reading The Upside of Irrationality by Dan Ariely

Something Wicked This Way Comes was beautifully written - but his beautiful prose sometimes slowed the story down. Book was unsettling AF so I guess he got it right . I then read The Dead Zone which is a book I've read many times. Still love it . I finished Upside of Irrationality - it was a fun little pop-psy book about why we behave the way we do.

I'm now reading Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. I can't remember who recommended it to me - it was probably on tumblr - but it's a paranormal urban fantasy with werewolves. Sort of similar to The Southern Vampire series in that people know of fae and such. It's a hell of a lot of fun and I'm finding it super enthralling. Don't let the cover deter you - it is an absolutely shit cover - but the book is fun. I can't wait to wait to read more in the series (and I'm not finished the first one ).

I'm also reading the Digital Divide which is a collection of essays about the divide the digital advancements have made in our culture between digital natives and digital immigrants. Most of the essays are around 10 years old but some are as old as 20. It's been interesting for sure.