Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

I read one of the vinyl cafe books last year - it was so cute. Brings back a simpler time. Sad that Stuart McLean died this year.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

I just finished These Things I've Done by Rebecca Phillips (who most of you know ). Oh my god - such a good book. I don't normally read books that I know will make me cry lots because I cry at everything (my son likes to make fun of me because I cried at a description I read of Osama Bin Laden's burial ) so books about teenagers who feel responsible for their best friend's death are not books I would normally read - but I'm so glad I did. Such a great book. Her characters were real and didn't have that "larger than life and so impossibly hip" vibe that so many YA characters fall prey too. And the story was told in a before/after timeline that made us see the transformations this event had on everyone - it also gave it a bigger impact than if it had just been an "after" story.

The summer between 1st and 2nd year of university my room mate from 1st year was killed in a stupid, totally preventable accident (that I had nothing to do with), but I had to go back to university as half a unit - our immediate social group already knew but I had to deal with all the "Hey where's your friend" and then the uncomfortable-ness that followed (I resorted to telling really fringe people that she just wasn't coming back that year). I lost my social group - they didn't know how to be around me and I started from scratch again. I didn't cope very well at all. I totally related to the main character (Dara) and I think Rebecca really nailed it - the emotions and the responses and how everyone around her dealt (or didn't deal with) her seemed spot on.

But you will cry . I ugly cried but YMMV

I just finished The Best of Adam Sharp.

I am currently reading Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown. I am also rereading The Giver. It is Johnny's first reading assignment for English this year. I am also reading Matthew;s first assignment for his American Lit class, The Red Badge of Courage.

I'm re-reading Fifth Business by Robertson Davies. It's my 3rd time reading it and each time I get different stuff from it. I read it the first time almost 30 years ago :faint.

Just finished the Roanoke Girls. It was sick and twisted-- and I couldn't put it down!

Quote Originally Posted by beccaphel View Post
    Just finished the Roanoke Girls. It was sick and twisted-- and I couldn't put it down!
    I'm on the hold list for that at my online library. Can't wait!

I'm reading The Address and trying to get into out.

I just started "The Life they Gave Her" About a albino girl sold to a circus freak show in the 30's. Very good. So far...

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    I just started "The Life they Gave Her" About a albino girl sold to a circus freak show in the 30's. Very good. So far...
    I read that all in one day on the way back to Utah from Chicago. I liked it a lot.

Actually it's "the life she was given"

I think...
    Anyway really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finished Road Trip Rwanda today by Will Ferguson. Such a good book - he manages to blend humour and horror in the right balance. He's primarily a humour travel writer (but he has written at least one novel with another one coming out this fall) so it's an odd subject matter for him to tackle. He has a good friend (who now lives in Canada) from Rwanda and they went together. Revisiting sites that were important in his friend's life as well as visiting every genocide memorial they can find - there is difficult subject matter but there's amazing progress and hope in the future.

I read one review on GR where the reviewer said she couldn't finish it because it was too graphic - I didn't find that but YMMV. I would caution anyone who wanted to read Dallaire's book about Rwanda and his experiences with PTSD about graphic content but I don't feel the need to make the same declaration for this book, but it does discuss the genocide in some detail.