Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

I'm going to start Louise Erdich's LaRose this afternoon.

Every summer I do a re-read of something and this summer it's Tolkien. Deviating from standard protocol I'm starting with the Fellowship - I want to make sure I get through all of LOTR so I'm skipping The Hobbit - I might do it at the end. I haven't read LOTR in over 20 years. It was my first fantasy and I found it a bit of a slog - I love the world and the characters and the story - but I found it challenging to read. Now that I've read a lot more fantasy I'm ready to try it again. I'm barely into but so far I'm loving it. It's easier to read when you know who everyone is

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    Every summer I do a re-read of something and this summer it's Tolkien. Deviating from standard protocol I'm starting with the Fellowship - I want to make sure I get through all of LOTR so I'm skipping The Hobbit - I might do it at the end. I haven't read LOTR in over 20 years. It was my first fantasy and I found it a bit of a slog - I love the world and the characters and the story - but I found it challenging to read. Now that I've read a lot more fantasy I'm ready to try it again. I'm barely into but so far I'm loving it. It's easier to read when you know who everyone is
    The Hobbit is part of Johnny's English curriculum this next year. He has already read it twice. It is one I have never read.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    I am starting River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Also, I discovered today that Neal Stephenson, one of my all-time favourite authors, has a new book out! I just put it on hold at the library.
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    The Hobbit is part of Johnny's English curriculum this next year. He has already read it twice. It is one I have never read.
    The Hobbit is much more of a children's story than LOTR. There is some character cross over between the two and for once I'm trying​ to minimise the emotional impact by reading them out of order

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    I am starting River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Also, I discovered today that Neal Stephenson, one of my all-time favourite authors, has a new book out! I just put it on hold at the library.
    Is that the sequel to...crap I can't remember the name??? The one that takes place in China??

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Under Heaven, yes. This one takes place 400 years later.

I've loved his books since I was a teenager. I also follow him on Twitter - he's very entertaining!
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things