Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

I had reserved A Daughters Desperation - the Jennifer Pan story and tomorrow I can pick it up. I'm looking forward to it. WOG - you probably remember that murder case - the teenage daughter who got a couple of thugs to fake a break in to the house and kill her parents? I believe they are a Chinese family? But the father survived and she was convicted of murder if I remember correctly. It was in Toronto and only a couple of years ago.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

That was a local story for me so I remember it very well. She was living a lie and wanted her inheritance. Her boyfriend I think was one of the thugs. I can't imagine what her poor father must go through every day

I just put it on hold at both my libraries.

So far it's excellent. I'm off to bed now to read some more!
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

March was supposed to be "Memoir March" for me but my February books took longer to read than expected . I just finished my Arctic Grail book which was excellent - if arctic exploration is your thing (and I'm discovering it's totally my thing) I highly recommend it. I've read a few books about Franklin, but this covers the period before and after Franklin - from Parry to Peary as it were.

I'm reading As You Wish by Cary Elwes - which isn't his memoir so much as it's the memoir of the making of the Princess Bride. It's not the best written book ever but as a fan of the film it's highly entertaining. I also just started A Soldier First by General Rick Hillier who was the Chief of Defence Staff about a decade ago.

I just finished Truevine: Two Brothers, a Kidnapping, and a Mother's Quest by Beth Macy, The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney, Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift, The Unthinkable by Amanda Ripley, and A Fine Imitation by Amber Brock.

I am currently reading The Wonder by Emma Donoghue, Cure by Jo Marchant, and Edgar and Lucy by Victor Lodato.

What did you think of The Unthinkable? I really liked it - ended up buying it for ds for Christmas. I find that human nature stuff kind of fascinating. I can tell you I haven't stayed in a hotel room or ridden on public transit without checking out emergency exits/plans since I read it

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    What did you think of The Unthinkable? I really liked it - ended up buying it for ds for Christmas. I find that human nature stuff kind of fascinating. I can tell you I haven't stayed in a hotel room or ridden on public transit without checking out emergency exits/plans since I read it
    It was a really good read. If you like that kind of stuff, did you ever watch that series, Life After People?? We all loved that.

I don't know if I've seen that particular one but we've seen lots of similar ones. They're always fascinating to watch