Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

I finished Moon Called which I actually really enjoyed. I moved onto Iron Duke by Meljean Brook which I've been skipping for ages because I thought it was historical fiction and I haven't been in a historical fiction mood. Turns out it's a super racy steampunk fantasy book . I'm enjoying it - I feel like I'm starting in the middle of a series a little bit - the world building is a little slow and I feel like I'm missing information. I'm still reading Digital Divide. I also read How To Unfuck Your Habitat and I really liked it. The cleaning tips aren't that revolutionary but she talks about people who don't fit the standard mold for cleaning books - she discusses people with mental/physical health issues and students and people who live with their parents. It's not all geared towards stay at home mothers with unlimited time throughout the day for various challenges (not that I ever had unlimited time during the day when I was a SAHM ).

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    Calico Captive by Speare (racist, but kind of trying not to be. Interesting history of pre-revolution America)
    Shrill by Lindy West (funny, current, talked about Internet trolls and comics that I'd heard of)
    Halfway through Do-over by Robin Henley ( memoir from a guy re-doing childhood experiences that he thought went badly. It's not very good. He's a serviceable writer, but his stories all fall flat)
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

I had a snow day yesterday and made it through most of the Goodfinch, I've got another 60 or so pages left. I'm kind of surprised it won prizes. I mean, the writing is very good, but this is my second Donna Tartt book, and I think her characters are so cold and soulless.

I read one of there other books and felt the same Mo. I can't remember the title, but it was about a group of prep school kids. The premise was good, the writing was good, but I struggled to get through it.

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    I read one of there other books and felt the same Mo. I can't remember the title, but it was about a group of prep school kids. The premise was good, the writing was good, but I struggled to get through it.
    The Secret History. I loved that one, despised her second with the heat of a thousand fiery suns, and haven't attempted the new one yet, though it's been on my nightstand for over a year.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

I would love to be wrong. Yogagirl's Avatar
    I didn't care for The Goldfinch either. I felt the same way about the characters.

I've been doing more light reading lately - Elin Hilderbrand, Debbie Macomber and stuff like that. Right now I just started Graham Nash's autobiography "Wild Tales" on my Kobo, and I picked up Bruce Springsteens autobiography at the library today (I just can't walk past those 14 day books!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    I just read Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance,
    How did you like it? I am on the list to get it on my Kobo and I think there is only 1 person ahead of me now (there were about 15 when I signed up for it)

[QUOTE=Catamount;19958249]I'm on the last book of The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben H Winters. /QUOTE] This sounds like something I'd really enjoy.
    I can't think of anything witty to say for my signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by Inky View Post

How did you like it? I am on the list to get it on my Kobo and I think there is only 1 person ahead of me now (there were about 15 when I signed up for it)

I really liked it. It was very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    I really liked it. It was very interesting.

ITA

Quote Originally Posted by maurinsky View Post
    I had a snow day yesterday and made it through most of the Goodfinch, I've got another 60 or so pages left. I'm kind of surprised it won prizes. I mean, the writing is very good, but this is my second Donna Tartt book, and I think her characters are so cold and soulless.
    I started it, hated it, took it back to the library before finishing it.

I'm trying to decide whether to start People I Want to Punch in the Throat (Jen Mann) or Things I Want My Daughters to Know (Elizabeth Noble)