Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading? 2017!

I just finished "Doc" and am now reading "Queen Sugar"

I just read Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult, Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott, and an Amelia Earhart book for Johnny's school.

I am STILL reading Life After Life, The Witching Hour and Misery. The Witching Hour and Misery are rereads. I will be honest in that I really don't think I understand everything in Life After Life. I have no idea why I am still reading it.

Yeah it didn't grab me. I didn't even make it the (presumed) life after life . Ditch it and read the First Fifteen Lives of Harry August which I gather is a similar premise.

I just finished Little House in the Big Woods. It's been decades since I've read the series. Before I move onto the next one, I want to read One Second After. I'm kind of interested in the post-apocalyptic genre, so if anyone has recommendations for me, feel free!

It's BEN and Jerry, not GWEN and Jerry! Catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I just finished Little House in the Big Woods. It's been decades since I've read the series. Before I move onto the next one, I want to read One Second After. I'm kind of interested in the post-apocalyptic genre, so if anyone has recommendations for me, feel free!
    I'm on the last book of The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben H Winters. The premise is that an asteroid is going to hit the Earth soon (when the first book starts, the countdown is six months). In the first book, the main character is trying to investigate a suicide that he believes is actually a murder while everyone else is walking away from their jobs and the infrastructure is collapsing around him and no one else thinks it matters since everyone is going to die soon anyway. They are incredibly well written and very interesting. I got them for my birthday (Jan 20) and the national mood is a bit of an eerie background for reading books where the end is nigh, but they are incredibly well written and I read the second one from cover to cover on our snow day this week. It's been a long time since a book has grabbed me that completely.
    "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

I read the first one and then forgot all of the pertinents while waiting for the 2nd one to come out . I plan on doing a read of all three this summer. Glad to hear the series holds up

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    WOOL Omnibus

Bird Box

Life As We Knew It

Also reread The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder, I think it was even better as an adult

Apparently there is going to be a new Hugh Howey book out soon that is going to have some Wool stories in it. I'm not familiar with Bird Box - off to investigate

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
    I'm on the last book of The Last Policeman trilogy by Ben H Winters. The premise is that an asteroid is going to hit the Earth soon (when the first book starts, the countdown is six months). In the first book, the main character is trying to investigate a suicide that he believes is actually a murder while everyone else is walking away from their jobs and the infrastructure is collapsing around him and no one else thinks it matters since everyone is going to die soon anyway. They are incredibly well written and very interesting. I got them for my birthday (Jan 20) and the national mood is a bit of an eerie background for reading books where the end is nigh, but they are incredibly well written and I read the second one from cover to cover on our snow day this week. It's been a long time since a book has grabbed me that completely.
    Dh and I watched a movie called Into the Forest a week or two ago, and my doom-and-gloom attitude of late combined with the movie (needing to know how to prep in a disaster) started it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    WOOL Omnibus

Bird Box

Life As We Knew It

Also reread The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder, I think it was even better as an adult
    Thank you!

I finished Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower Friday evening. Very good, but also a wee big scary considering the threat to the institutions that provide checks and balances that is currently happening. I certainly hope it's not prescient.

Started The Goldfinch on Saturday. Off to a good start, I'm intrigued.