Thread: 2016 Your Book Year in Review

2016 Your Book Year in Review

What were your faves? What fell flat?

I try to read a blend of fiction and non-fiction but my non-fiction is never as much as I would like. My favourite fiction book of the year was probably Landline by Rainbow Rowell - based on the number of stars I gave it on GR . It's one of her adult books about a marriage that is falling apart but the wife finds away to communicate with her husband in the past (hint a landline is involved ) - it was really poignant and thought provoking. Runner up would probably be the Raven Cycle by Maggie Steifvater. It's a YA supernatural series and I found it somewhat engrossing .

I read a lot of non-fiction that I rated 5 stars this year. Tops would probably be The Unthinkable - Who Survives Disaster and Why - truly a fascinating book about human behaviour in disaster with lots of real world examples. With the runner up being Fatal Passage by Ken McGoogan about the man who really found the Northwest Passage and the fate of the Franklin Expedition.

I think my biggest disappointments of the year for me was the conclusion to Justin Cronin's Passage trilogy. The last book just did not live up to the promise of the first two.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Best book this year was The Name of the Wind. So different than my usual reads and stayed with me. I read so much fluff that there were a lot of meh books.

The Nightingale
    The Lost Girls
    The Lake House
    Gallarie
    A Reliable Wife
    The Swan's of 5th Avenue

Those were the books I enjoyed this year...that I see on my book list

And I lost my kindle on vacation (it was cheap and several years old) so will be updating my e reader...as I got a nice amazon gc for a research study I did.

I read 52 books. 23 were non-fiction. That's not a bad ratio.

My favorites this year were The Lost Girls by Heather Young, Beale Street Dynasty: Sex, Song, and the Struggle for the Soul of Memphis by Preston Lauterbach, Cover of Snow by Jenny Milchman, Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild by David Stenn, The Girls by Emma Cline, What Remains of Me by Alison Gaylin, Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight, and Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker,

My least favorite seems to have been Bed by David Whitehouse. I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads. That pretty much means I hate it. I almost never rate any book less than 3. I feel guilty for giving bad reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    My least favorite seems to have been Bed by David Whitehouse. I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads. That pretty much means I hate it. I almost never rate any book less than 3. I feel guilty for giving bad reviews.
    Me too . I usually don't leave a rating at all. Although I also don't finish books I hate

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    Me too . I usually don't leave a rating at all. Although I also don't finish books I hate
    I am too competitive not to finish. If I read 75 pages or more, it will be finished. I do stop before that sometimes though.

I think I was more than 200 pages into Jonathan Strange before I bailed

I just finished "Good Girl." I really enjoyed it.