Thread: Alexa, tell us who killed this man.

Alexa, tell us who killed this man.

Amazon is pushing back against an Arkansas prosecutor's demand for information from a murder suspect's Echo smart speaker, setting up another legal battle over investigators' quest for technology-based evidence and American privacy rights.
    The Amazon Echo entered the November 2015 murder case because someone present on the night of Collins' death allegedly recalled hearing music streaming through the device that evening.

Bates had invited two friends -- one of them former Georgia police officer Victor Collins, 47 -- over to his Bentonville home, where they watched college football, drank beer and shot vodka, according to the search warrant affidavit filed in Benton County Circuit Court. The men decided to get into Bates' hot tub and Bates said he went to bed around 1 a.m. When he awoke in the morning, Collins was floating face-down in the hot tub, the affidavit says.
    Investigators have routinely obtained warrants for suspects' phones, computers, even their blood, he said, so "there's not a rational or legal reason that we shouldn't be able to search that device."

Amazon disagrees.

"Amazon will not release customer information without a valid and binding legal demand properly served on us," it said in a statement. "Amazon objects to overbroad or otherwise inappropriate demands as a matter of course."
    Do you think Amazon should turn over anything they have from that echo? Is it over reach, since the police don't know that they might find (but are hopeful)?

This will be interesting. Are they assuming that Amazon stores a recording of everything said in the presence of an Echo? Do they think something is in the Echo itself?

I'm really unclear what they expect to find.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    The police probably want the search requests made to the Echo
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Alexa, how many shots can I drink before I pass out?

Alexa, order more vodka and beer.

Alexa, what's an optimal hot tub temperature?

Alexa, how long do I have to hold a man underwater before he dies?

They cite computers as an example, but I think it's different because with a computer, the information resides on the device itself. They aren't getting the information from COX cable, the internet provider. If the Echo had a recording device in it, that would be more comparable to the things they cite as being similar.

I believe they said that since they were playing music on the Echo (and had to wake up the Echo to do so), that it was recording their voices (I believe they said to a cloud, but I could very well be wrong on that part), and therefore, Amazon very likely could have a recording of what was taking place or what took place just before, during, or after the murder. I believe they said that the Echo also records things said a second before you wake it up, but that doesn't seem all that long

Sorry, didn't mean to leave off the link.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/28/tech/a...der-case-trnd/

Police ask: 'Alexa, did you witness a murder ?"

At least, this is a source I trust...

The police were immediately suspicious when they found that the water of the hot tub was tinted red and that Collins had injuries suggesting a struggle—including cuts on an eyelid, a bloodied nose, and swollen lips. There were signs of blood on the sides of the hot tub and on the patio around it and evidence that the tub and the patio had been hosed down to remove the blood.
    The reason for the search of the Echo is fairly obvious, based on some recent investigations by Ars into the Alexa Voice Service (to be published next week) and a review of Amazon’s prototype Alexa client code. While it’s highly unlikely that Amazon would have retained any data useful to the investigation, some audio may have been retained on the Echo itself. Echo and other devices that use Alexa monitor audio recorded by a microphone for utterances; when speech (or some audio) is detected, it is recorded to a binary audio file and sent in a JSON message back to the Alexa service.

All of Alexa’s voice recognition happens in the cloud, so audio may have been retained briefly by Amazon's servers. But if nothing overwrote the audio buffer files before the device was seized, it would be more likely that the audio files from the night of the incident could be recovered from the Echo itself intact. It may also be possible to forensically recover the audio data if the files were just deleted from the local file system.
    That was the missing piece... now, it makes sense why they would do that. As in the Apple case, I doubt Amazon wants to keep some full time staff dedicated to doing forensic work. They may eventually have no choice.