Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: That's Dangerous!

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Deenie, that is appalling. Why would they scream and threaten lawsuits? What is wrong with people?
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I think with the increase in after school activities and two working parents plus social media and video games that tradition kinda died.
    Ba - da - bing!

In our K-8 district, we have "Power Hour" which is from 2:45 to 3:45, and we have a number of other extra-curricular activities that are happening after school. By the time kids get home from those, they have to do their homework, and then there's dinner. Doesn't leave a lot of after school play time.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Deenie, that is appalling. Why would they scream and threaten lawsuits? What is wrong with people?
    Screamed at because I wouldn't let their child cross the street at pick up, instead of the parent walking across to get them, or wait in the actual pick up line. (per school policy, not just my own) Screamed at because after their child had hit several other children that day and had an office referral, they missed P.E. and music, and the parent was angry because they "get a grade for that class, and you don't have the right to take it away". (removed from the classes at the principals request, not mine). Screamed at because their child went home and told a blatant lie. The child said someone from another class had hit him at recess, they had told me, and I said "oh well"... only we were the only class at recess that day, the other one was having a birthday party. When the principal and I talked to the child, they insisted it was someone from another class, when reminded that we had been alone on the playground, they said no we weren't, on and on with the lie. Then finally said they fell... those types of things.

The lawsuits were threated by one parent, on two different occassions. One was because while the parents were going through a nasty divorce, the mom wanted the dad removed from the pick up list, but without a custody order, we can't keep a parent from picking up their child. The other time involved a day when I was gone with pneumonia, and the sub said another student had touched this child inappropriately... turns out the other student had dropped something in the cafeteria, went under the table to pick it up, and had touched this helicopter mom's daughter on the leg while trying to get back up on the bench. The sub was in the wrong, in my opinion, for feeding on this mom's fears.

nolite te bastardes carborundorum stellarfeller's Avatar
    Wow. You teachers deserve full marks for putting up with that crap!
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by deeniereenie View Post
    Screamed at because I wouldn't let their child cross the street at pick up, instead of the parent walking across to get them, or wait in the actual pick up line. (per school policy, not just my own) Screamed at because after their child had hit several other children that day and had an office referral, they missed P.E. and music, and the parent was angry because they "get a grade for that class, and you don't have the right to take it away". (removed from the classes at the principals request, not mine). Screamed at because their child went home and told a blatant lie. The child said someone from another class had hit him at recess, they had told me, and I said "oh well"... only we were the only class at recess that day, the other one was having a birthday party. When the principal and I talked to the child, they insisted it was someone from another class, when reminded that we had been alone on the playground, they said no we weren't, on and on with the lie. Then finally said they fell... those types of things.

The lawsuits were threated by one parent, on two different occassions. One was because while the parents were going through a nasty divorce, the mom wanted the dad removed from the pick up list, but without a custody order, we can't keep a parent from picking up their child. The other time involved a day when I was gone with pneumonia, and the sub said another student had touched this child inappropriately... turns out the other student had dropped something in the cafeteria, went under the table to pick it up, and had touched this helicopter mom's daughter on the leg while trying to get back up on the bench. The sub was in the wrong, in my opinion, for feeding on this mom's fears.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Quote Originally Posted by stellarfeller View Post
    Wow. You teachers deserve full marks for putting up with that crap!
    I couldn't do it!

Eh. I love my job, and love my kids, and most of the time, I wouldn't trade it for anything. 99% of the parents are fabulous, and even when I don't agree with them, I know they are looking out for the best interest of their children. Some others just suck. LOL