Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: But honestly, I was just shining too bright for them.

But honestly, I was just shining too bright for them.

This is an old post from HONY, but it came through my feed today.

"I used to be a preschool teacher, but I got fired."
    "What happened?"
    "Well, I decided that I wanted to have a socially conscious class. So we learned about apartheid in South Africa. Then we learned about homelessness. Then we made mother's day cards for Trayvon Martin's mom. And I think the principal decided that it was too much for three and four year olds, because she told me I wasn't a 'good fit.' But honestly, I was just shining too bright for them. And now she's going to see me on Humans of New York, and she'll be sorry!"
    https://www.facebook.com/humansofnew...type=3&theater

Would you want your preschooler in her class?

Should the principal be sorry?

As an aside, the comments read like a citation of "look, urbanites really do look down on rural people."

I'm all for socially conscious children but IMO the four and under crowd can't fully grasp ideas like apartheid and they shouldn't be asked to grasp ideas about children being killed by the police. With kids that age you teach them about empathy with the kids in their class, you teach them about recycling. You work your way up to the big shit.

When my son was around that age he had a picture book called "Great Ships". He was huge into ships - Titanic was probably his favourite - but when he was 3 and 4 we skipped the page on Amistad. There's enough time for children to learn the world sucks and/or has sucked in the past. Let them be kids when they're three.

I think this teacher is teaching the wrong grade level. I'm with WOG. These kids are not going to grasp concepts like apartheid. I wouldn't personally care but would expect teachers at that level spend more time on age appropriate content that the students will be able to understand. There is no way those kids are retaining and learning anything.

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    No that principal is not sorry. She's reading this and breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    No that principal is not sorry. She's reading this and breathing a huge sigh of relief.

My impression: Bat.Shit.Crazy.

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    We don't see color we celebrate it /eye roll
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

"I was shining too bright" ??

I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

Like WOG & pk said, most kids that age will not understand those concepts. Those kids that are able to understand them are likely to lack the emotional maturity to handle them. My sensitive kiddo would have come home and had absolute meltdowns.

I think it can be fine to address kids' fears or questions in an age-appropriate manner--if one child mentions that his uncle is homeless and another child has preconceived notions about that, sure, address it. If children came in after Trayvon Martin was killed and had overheard things from their parents and were afraid the same thing would happen when they got Skittles, sure, address it. I'm having a hard time thinking of how apartheid would come up naturally, but if it does, sure, address it.

But it sounds like this teacher intentionally developed lessons about these things to further her own goals of a socially conscious classroom. That's different, and IMO, not appropriate for this age group.

Also, she sounds kind of insufferable. I think my eyes are still stuck from the rolling when I read "shining too bright."

Sorry not sorry.

Premier Sponsor
    :eyeroll
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error