Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How important are thoughtful gifts to you?

How important are thoughtful gifts to you?

I was watching Love, Actually on the weekend and it made me sad that Emma Thompson's character only ever get a scarf from her husband of 13 years. His big "thoughtful" gift in the movie was a Joni Mitchell CD. She didn't seem bothered by the scarf thing and I know lots of people that buy their own presents from their husbands so obviously it doesn't bother some people.

But does it bother you?

It would bother me if I never got thoughtful gifts - I don't care about dollar value - just thought. There are lots of times where I want something and don't maybe get it but I know thought went into what I did get so that's okay.

well...yeah. It's important to me. Its an issue we've struggled with throughout our marriage and after 25 years dh finally "got it". The gist is...it's not about $$ it's about being present in the relationship to realize it's important to the other person, and taking care of that need. My dh is a absentminded professor. He just doesn't think it through sometimes. He does now.

Of course recently we've decided not to do gift anymore but to travel instead...so he's off the hook and I'm happy planning. So win/win

I prefer thoughtful gifts, but I'm also happy to get gift cards to my favorite shopping places. However, if I only ever got gift cards, I'd be pretty damn upset.

My favorite thoughtful gift from last year came from dd. It probably only cost her $5 for the supplies, but she made a plate with my grandma's cookie recipe written on it. Oh, did I cry when I opened that!

Oh I watched that too, that scene...
    Absolutely, I love any thoughtful gift. I am blessed with an amazing husband, who always puts thought into his gifts. Even if it is a mundane or goofy thing, it's because he heard you mention it, want it, or it totally makes sense for you.

I love thoughtful gifts. However, I never get any nor do I expect too. LOL It just isn't in my dh's dna so I gave up that expectation a long time ago. I am never surprised either.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I prefer thoughtful gifts, but I'm also happy to get gift cards to my favorite shopping places. However, if I only ever got gift cards, I'd be pretty damn upset.

My favorite thoughtful gift from last year came from dd. It probably only cost her $5 for the supplies, but she made a plate with my grandma's cookie recipe written on it. Oh, did I cry when I opened that!
    That's really sweet . I have a hard time mathing cooking conversions - I use American recipes and have an American stove (aka Imperial measurements) but all of my purchases are in metric so puzzling out pounds to kilos and ounces to grams can be a bit of a struggle. Dh bought me a calculator that does most of this but it doesn't have pounds on it for some weird reason so one Christmas ds typed out and entire sheet of of measurements and their equivalents going from Imperial to metric and metric to imperial. He printed it out on cardstock and tied them together with a nice piece of twine. It was super thoughtful. Whenever I use it I think of all the work he put into it (I also make sure to leave it out when I use it so he knows I used it )

I love thoughtful gifts and make a concerted effort to find them. My family (dh and dds) does a very good job of thoughtful gifting for me. I am an easy person to "thoughtfully gift", because I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. If you've ever sat at the bar watching me (as I shoo you out of my work space and ply you with food and drink to just SIT DOWN), you know where my heart is.

(As I grow older, the Emma Thompson scenes in "Love, Actually" kill me. The scene with the Joni Mitchell CD playing in the bedroom kicks me in the gut, but not because it's a thoughtful gift...but because the gift she opened isn't the gift she thought it was.)

That scene. . My heart breaks for Emma Thompson's character every single year.

As for the question - my Dh is king of the thoughtful gift. He absolutely loves buying me things I've wanted but never thought to ask for. I also like nailing the perfect gift. Some years I manage to, some others have been harder. Dd we mostly get her exactly what she's asked for, or gift cards.

We don't exchange gifts with extended family, so that's never an issue.

There's a running joke in the family...

DW: "Do you want a shirt for Hanukah?" (Birthdays, too.)
    Me: "No. You always get me a new shirt."

Open gift... a new shirt. Kids crack up. I don't care, she did spend time looking for something she likes ;)

If there's something I really want, I buy it and thank her for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I love thoughtful gifts and make a concerted effort to find them. My family (dh and dds) does a very good job of thoughtful gifting for me. I am an easy person to "thoughtfully gift", because I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. If you've ever sat at the bar watching me (as I shoo you out of my work space and ply you with food and drink to just SIT DOWN), you know where my heart is.

(As I grow older, the Emma Thompson scenes in "Love, Actually" kill me. The scene with the Joni Mitchell CD playing in the bedroom kicks me in the gut, but not because it's a thoughtful gift...but because the gift she opened isn't the gift she thought it was.)
    The scene that actually gets me in the feels is when he says he's been a fool and she says something like "And you've made my life foolish". That breaks me every time.