Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When is it cruel to encourage magical belief?

We did the tooth fairy. Our challenge was getting DD2 not to tell other kids that there was no Santa.

I sucked as the tooth fairy.

My dds were in bunk beds.

I told them we lived in a "bad tooth fairy district" She often came when they were at school

We actually never did the tooth fairy in our house . Ds was late losing his first tooth - he was the last kid in his class to lose a tooth - in Grade 1 they did a unit on the tooth fairy before he'd ever lost a tooth and I think it kind of freaked him out .

We did the tooth fairy. Matthew lost all his teeth pretty early. Johnny is 13 and STILL losing teeth. He has shark teeth. The new ones come in before the old ones leave. The dentist assures me this happens all the time. Obviously, we stopped doing the tooth fairy with him a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    We did the tooth fairy. Matthew lost all his teeth pretty early. Johnny is 13 and STILL losing teeth. He has shark teeth. The new ones come in before the old ones leave. The dentist assures me this happens all the time. Obviously, we stopped doing the tooth fairy with him a while ago.
    Ds had to wait to get his final braces on until his last tooth came out - which finally did - when he was 14 . of course he still didn't have all his teeth in at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    I'm super uncomfortable with encouraging any belief in magical things. Santa, Tooth Fairy (sorry GOF! ), religion of any sort. Dh, on the other hand, loved doing the whole Santa thing with dd, so I went along with it. I don't remember ever believing in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and a family story is that I spilled the beans on the Easter Bunny to my kindergarten class.

I was super relieved when dd was 7 and asked me for "the truth", and wouldn't accept my usual "Well, what do you think?" that year. Dh was a bit miffed, but too bad dude, you got 7 years.

I think that encouraging belief in a kid who is showing skepticism is serving the adults need to keep the kid young, to not let them grow up. I think that showing a kid that they are now grown up enough to be "in" on the secret is a cool milestone. I realize I'm not the norm in this, as from my years as a parent it seems that most parents see the skepticism as a loss of innocence and something to mourn.
    I can relate to that. I vividly remember having figured it out in Kindergarten (so 5 years old) and feeling all grown up because I knew something the other kids didn't, the teachers having told me to keep it on the downlow. It was cool.

I have an aunt and uncle a bit on the religious side who never, ever did Santa or the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny stuff. They didn't want to perpetuate a myth or a lie, I guess. I think that's a bit ironic myself, but their kids are all grown and successful and well-adjusted (and not very religious, either) so no harm was done.

My own kids opted out of that stuff at 6 or 7. We don't do the tooth fairy with Roxy but she is very aware of Santa. Her school's namesake comes every year dressed as Santa and gives everyone a toy, so she's very into that and he is very real to her and I suspect he always will always be to some degree because she can SEE him, so how do I explain it to her that he's NOT?! Not on my list of things to worry about with her.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"