Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is it cruel to encourage magical belief?

When is it cruel to encourage magical belief?

If a child enters middle school, which is 6th grade, is it cruel to not dissuade them of belief in Santa? If the child is emotionally immature and honestly and genuinely believes? If you have spent considerable energy in years past encouraging belief?

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    I don't think it's ever cruel, but by 6th grade any kid that truly believes will likely be mocked mercilessly by their peers. That said, I have yet to meet a 6th grader that actually believes Santa is real, so I am not sure how I would handle this situation.

A child that socially immature, who was not taking "the hints" would likely already not be truly getting along with their nuerotypical peers. I would continue easing them through the Santa transition.

Wait! Santa isn't real?!?

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post

Wait! Santa isn't real?!?

Sitting on the couch eating bon bons! Eli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaena View Post
    A child that socially immature, who was not taking "the hints" would likely already not be truly getting along with their nuerotypical peers. I would continue easing them through the Santa transition.
    This. Most 6th graders I know realize Santa isn't real. I'm wondering if there isn't something more going on perhaps ASD?

I don't think it's cruel, but to continue to encourage this type of thinking is doing the child a disservice, IMO. My 13 year old has one friend who we think still believes in Santa. I've told my daughter that it's not her place to bring it up and that she should change the subject if the friend says something about Santa. As a parent, I wouldn't let that go past the age of 9/10 at the latest, but my kids knew that it was all pretend when they were 5 or 6, which was earlier than many of their friends, so I might just have a lower-than-normal tolerance for that type of thing.

I don't think it's "cruel" to not tell them the truth, though I think it's silly not to - you should probably let the know that Lassie didn't really "go to a farm".

But I don't think you ought to invest a lot of energy in making kids believe in Santa and the tooth fairy.

I have yet to meet a 7th grader who actually believed in Santa, though I've met several who said they didn't want to confess that to their mom's.

Interesting point - why are moms so much more invested in this than dads?
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

My kids seemed to stop believing in all that stuff around 3rd to 4th grade. That did not really both me one way or the other. DH was much more invested in it than I ever was. Then again, I am the scrooge of all scrooges, so there is that. I effing hate holidays, except for Halloween. Mine started homeschooling in the 6th grade, so I am fairly sure no one here would have mocked them about it. Of course, they were also Youtube and internet pros by 5th grade, so I think that took care of any lingering beliefs in magical things.

Yep, my husband still be leaves in Santa! I am the Scrooge!