Thread: Biography Suggestions Needed

Biography Suggestions Needed

I need a good biography to read about someone who went through an educational metamorphosis. What that basically means is someone who had a transformation through some type of learning process. It can be informal, like an identity or cultural change. In fact, I'd prefer that because I think it would more interesting to read about.

Any ideas? I need to apply Jane Roland Martin's criteria from her book Educational Metamorphoses for a long ass paper I need to write. See her book linked for more info about what I need to write about. TIA!

Totally informal but Patti Boyd's biography about becoming a beatle wife and beyond during the 60's/70's cultural revolution was very good

Hmm - I just read a book that wasn't very well written if I'm being 100% honest, but it might suit your needs. She was a student in Canada's residential school system which was a century+ long program of taking aboriginal children from their parents in an effort to assimilate them. Unfortunately the system was a failure riddled with abuse (verbal, physical, and sexual). She talks about her experiences in the school and then the rest of her life. The writing is pretty basic and it's a heartbreaking story but it shows how sometimes "education" can be detrimental. How a culture was destroyed. It's a pretty fast read https://www.amazon.com/They-Called-N...+me+number+one

OH! I think you should read A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Klebold. It's amazing how she deals with learning the truth about her son and herself after Columbine. I thought it was pretty well written, too.

Oh that's on my tbr list

I also think The Glass Castle, as well as Half Broke Horses might work. They're both by Jeannette Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    Oh that's on my tbr list

I also think The Glass Castle, as well as Half Broke Horses might work. They're both by Jeannette Wells.
    Bump it up! It's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by niccikatie View Post
    OH! I think you should read A Mother's Reckoning by Sue Klebold. It's amazing how she deals with learning the truth about her son and herself after Columbine. I thought it was pretty well written, too.
    That was one of the books I was looking at!

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    Oh that's on my tbr list

Are these biographies?

ETA: Just looked them up. Very interesting!! I'll definitely take a look. I was thinking about one re: poor culture but didn't have any ideas yet.

I'm also looking at Picking Cotton. I think I already bought that one and have it at home somewhere.

If nothing else, I'll have a list of books to read after this!