Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers

Premier Sponsor

Cloth diapers

I'm planning to watch my grand baby one day a week once my daughter in law returns to work (she was due Saturday) I used cloth diapers with my kiddos part time & think I'd like to use them when I watch her (I'll also be the back up & sure will have her some random days) I'd love suggestions on brands & any other tips. :)
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

boring prudish virtue signaler stellarfeller's Avatar
    No idea about cloth diapers, but how exciting! How much time does she get off work?
    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation
    -
    Chief Hopper, Stranger Things

Do the parents plan on using cloth diapers as well? Perhaps they could recommend brands - if they're planning on using disposables would they object to you using cloth?

Premier Sponsor
    Parents are not using cloth....I don't think they will have an opinion if I choose to use them @ my house?! I guess I never even thought that would be something I need to ask them?! So I guess I better run it by them .....she gets 4 months off!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

I just know sometimes new parents can be a little weird about stuff

Check out www.greenmountaindiapers.com

they have really good pre folds. If you get small and medium diapers you may never need another size. Snappis can be used to secure them. As for covers I have no opinion but a friend swears by Thirties Duo.

I would find it a little...odd? if I were using disposables and my MIL said she wanted to use cloth diapers for the one day a week she was watching the baby. The only actual objection I can come up with isn't all that insurmountable--it's just the fact that it could be a hassle to have to change the baby again when the mom comes for pickup each day, because the cloth diapers stay at your place. (As a person who uses disposable diapers, I wouldn't want the cloth ones to come home for me to deal with.) I'd probably end up being like, okay, whatever, saves me a few bucks not having to buy the diapers to send with baby when baby goes to your house.

Regarding new parents being a little weird about things - I think a lot of times new parents really need to feel affirmed in their parenting decisions, and something like "Oh, you've chosen to do X? Well, when baby's at my house we'll do Y instead" can make them feel like you're questioning their ability to choose well. They may not even care so much about diapers in particular but see it as a sign that you're not going to respect their decisions. But if you have a good relationship with both of them, and you ask instead of announcing, I'm guessing it won't be a big deal. Especially if you point out that they'll be saving money by not having to pay for the diapers for when you're babysitting!

I have nothing to add that will actually answer your question, though.

Premier Sponsor
    Well I was going to use cloth diapers for a couple reasons....the cost - I think even one day a week over the course of the baby (and its siblings) lifetime would pay for itself. I also pride myself on reducing our landfill. I'll run it by the kids in the future. For now she just wants to go into labor and have this baby!! Either way I'll be a happy grandma 👵🏻

I would definitely get the okay from them before choosing to use cloth, though I can't imagine they would mind much. I will say, if it was 'me' in the scenario, I wouldn't want to deal with even one cloth diaper. When my mom watched Andrew I kept her supplied with diapers.

Dd and son-in-law (who is the main baby care person) were unsure about using cloth diapers. Dd was attracted to the cheapness (yes, a chip off the old block!) but son-in-law was kind of squeamish.

I bought them Alva diapers on amazon. They are very reasonably priced, like $38 for 6 covers + inserts. They love them They are cute, they are extremely absorbant, they don't leak any more than disposibles do, they are easy to wash, and they are super cheap. They use cloth exclusively at home, and only break out disposables for travel.

When they said how much they liked them, I bought them some more in different colors. They are really cute! I also bought one with a Harry Potter design that isn't sold with any of the sets.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...