Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Here Is What Donald Trump Wants To Do In His First 100 Days

There are a bunch of people in my homeschool group who are latched onto that. "Yeah, we have the right to homeschool!" Ummm... we already had that right.

Premier Sponsor
    He means like what we have in Wisconsin, where money which was used for public schools is now given to private schools to pay the tuition for families who choose to send their kids to private schools (if the families make less than $75K per year, I think). It has decimated the Milwaukee Public Schools there is no requirement for the private schools to take kids with any learning disabilities or behavior disorders. There is also no progress reporting required from the private schools, staff isn't required to be trained or licensed, etc. There has been rampant fraud.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

I'm just here for the lulz. Sarsparilla's Avatar
    I know what it means. I'm a'gin it!
    Welcome to Fluffytown. No smoking, no farting, no pillow fights.

Quote Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
    He means like what we have in Wisconsin, where money which was used for public schools is now given to private schools to pay the tuition for families who choose to send their kids to private schools (if the families make less than $75K per year, I think). It has decimated the Milwaukee Public Schools there is no requirement for the private schools to take kids with any learning disabilities or behavior disorders. There is also no progress reporting required from the private schools, staff isn't required to be trained or licensed, etc. There has been rampant fraud.
    This. Exactly.

This is exactly what I am terrified of. Our lovely Republican government in Oklahoma has already drained schools of education money for YEARS. They are blaming it on low oil prices currently, but have no answer for why in the years oil was booming, cuts were still made. Since 2008, almost 25% of education funding has been slashed, while student enrollment has increased by almost $50,000 students.
    Our piece of shit governor, Mary Fallin (or Mary Failing!) recently said that schools need to "step up", because many have gone to 4 day weeks simply to be able to remain open during this crisis. Last year, more emergency certifications were given out to be able to put bodies in front of a classroom in one day than had been issued in the entire previous year. I live in a town close to the Texas border, many teachers are crossing over for an instant 5,000 to 10,000 raise.
    My district combined schools last year, as a cost saving measure. So, one school is now pre-k and K, one is 1st and 2nd, and one is 3rd and 4th. The upper grades were already 5th and 6th at a building, 7th and 8th at another, and 9th-12th at the high school. Our class sizes are insane. I only have 24 right now, but have had as many as 28 on my roster. Some of the 1st and 2nd grade teachers had 30.
    So, with class sizes out of control, more kids needing services than ever before, and all of the other issues that arise with low funding, many schools have been labeled as "failing". Which means even more funding is cut. It is a huge vicious cycle.

I teach kindergarten. Of my 24 kids, 5 are reading. 5 more don't have a clue about the letters even the ones in their name. The other 15 or so are who I *actually* feel like I am able to teach. I can't do small groups, I may be able to start them after Christmas, if I can get them to keep their hands to themselves. 17 of my kids are boys. 14 of them are very handsy. It is a never ending battle.

The special ed teacher in our building, who services K, has 23 students on her case load, with 8 more awaiting evaluation.

Vouchers will kill the public school system, no doubt. In OK, the proposal for vouchers wouldn't even help the neediest students, parents had to earn a certain amount to qualify. Students who qualify for free/reduced lunch would not earn the minimum amount, and so would be relugated to public schools.

I am all for parent choice. Parents can choose to homeschool, do virtual schools, charter schools, private schools, whatever. But they shouldn't be allowed to take public school dollars to do so. Period.
    Also, as stated above, private schools do not have to service every student who applies. Public schools do. Private schools are not required to have certified staff. Public schools do. Private schools do not have to take the same tests public schools do. On and on and on.

One last vent- regarding common core. Does this moron realize it was a REPUBLICAN initiative? I am so very tired of people blaming Obama... he had nothing to do with it.

Premier Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by deeniereenie View Post
    One last vent- regarding common core. Does this moron realize it was a REPUBLICAN initiative? I am so very tired of people blaming Obama... he had nothing to do with it.
    A republican governors' initiative to boot. It is NOT mandated at the federal level!
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace."

Countdown the the End of An Error

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Why isn't delete his Twitter account on that list?

It really should be at the top of the list

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I watched that. I wondered if the little part at the very end with the desks was the reason Trump stated today that he makes his own decisions! This was funny, but Melissa McCarthy as Spicer had me almost crying!