19 73.08%
  • It's dressing.

4 15.38%
  • It's something else.

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Important food question (poll)

Important food question (poll)

It's Thanksgiving. There's a side dish that usually includes bread as the central ingredient, broth, sometimes vegetables, sometimes other miscellaneous ingredients. What do you call it, and what do you prefer to be included in the recipe?

Here, it's stuffing. Mine has chopped onions, celery, and small diced bell peppers cooked in BUTTER. (Upper case for emphasis.) It centers upon mostly white bread, toasted first then drenched in the veggies cooked in butter, milk, some broth, and raw egg. It's baked both inside the bird and in a casserole dish.

Have you ever had this side dish with an ingredient in it that you thought was really weird to be in such a dish?

Wait for the poll...

I also call it stuffing. I have no idea what goes in it or how to make it because I don't like it.

I've had stuffing with hard boiled egg chopped up in it. I have also had "oyster dressing", which seems all kinds of wrong to me. Of course, it may have been the cook's version that seemed wrong (it also included chopped hard boiled egg).

Cornbread dressing gives me the yooks. I have never heard the term "cornbread stuffing". It has always been "dressing" in this form.

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    I also call it stuffing. I have no idea what goes in it or how to make it because I don't like it.
    :faint

Melts in Your Mouth -- srsly! M&M's Avatar
    In our family, it is "dressing." It is one of my all-time favorite foods and I look forward to the holidays to make it and eat it! It consists primarily of cornbread (although there is also some white bread), along with celery and onions cooked in BUTTER, lots of sage, raw eggs, and chicken or turkey stock. It is spread into a baking dish and cooked in the oven, then cut into squares and served. My grandma used to always add oysters to one pan and leave the other plain, but through the years we have just omitted the oysters altogether. Although not part of the traditional family recipe, I also generally add mushrooms because we like them.

In my husband's family, it is called "stuffing." It consists primarily of Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix (hard white bread croutons), onions and (dirty, unwashed) celery cooked in broth, both bacon and sausage, a raw egg, and turkey stock. It is stuffed into the bird, and what doesn't fit is baked separately in a baking dish in the oven. It is greasy and nasty and I dislike it almost as much as I love my family's "dressing."

George Michael McKitty

I make cornbread stuffing.

It's fantastic. It involves cornbread, sausage, onions some sundried tomatoes (just a few), spices and butter. The recipe came out of Martha Stewarts magazine or book probably 20 years ago. And yes, I use part of it to stuff the bird because the drippings make the most delicious gravy.

Crap now I want stuffing.

PK you must not be doing it right. Stuffing is the REASON for thanksgiving.

Important food question (poll)

It's called either, interchangeably. My version of my family's consists of:

Dry white bread, cubed
    Sausage meat, sautéed and drained
    Sliced mushrooms
    Sliced celery and/or water chestnuts
    Onion
    Poultry seasoning.

That's it for the portion that's stuffed into the turkey. The rest is put in the slow cooker with some stock and butter.

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post

For reals!

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post

I'm not really into Thanksgiving food. I'm not a fan of turkey. Stuffing and squash are gross. I do like mashed potatoes and gravy a lot though. And pie. Lots of pie.

No groundhogs; just prairie dogs RobinAnn's Avatar
    If it is in the bird, it is stuffing. If it is in a casserole dish, it is dressing.
    Robin