Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Instant Pot Question!

Quote Originally Posted by TheChicken View Post
    Okay, so my Korean beef was tasty as hell, but the seal... it stinks. I tried soaking it in vinegar and dish soap, them ran it through the dishwasher, it still stinks. Any suggestions on how to remove the smell?
    I had a similar problem with the inner pot, it smelled like my last meal

Did some googling and got this:

http://instantpot.com/faq/questions-...your-purchase/

How do I remove the food smell from the sealing ring?

The Instant Pot sealing ring is made from silicone rubber, which is more durable than natural rubber based products. Silicone may pick up food scents during cooking. While many people are not troubled by this characteristic of silicone and do not find that flavors transfer, some people are more sensitive to it.
    To remove the smell, you can “steam clean” your Instant Pot by adding 2 cups of water or white vinegar and some cut-up lemon rind, and running the “Steam” program for 2 minutes with the sealing ring in place, then allow the sealing ring to air dry. Alternatively, you may remove the sealing ring, and put it into your dishwasher. High temperature and strong detergent will usually remove most smells; however certain highly acidic foods may leave a residue. Some people have had success first soaking the silicone ring overnight in either white vinegar, or lemon juice, or bleach, or tomato juice, and then running it through the dishwasher. Others have found that storing the ring in a plastic bag with ground coffee or baking soda is effective, and finally some have found that using “Hunting Odor Eliminator” from a sporting goods store is effective.
    Many people like to have one sealing ring for highly scented/spicy foods and one for mild/sweet foods with fewer odors. It is recommended to always have a second sealing ring on-hand for other reasons as well, like a spare tire, as no pressure cooking can be done should the sealing ring fail. You can purchase additional sealing rings at https://instantpot.com/store/home.php.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Tiny Heart - Big Nuggets TheChicken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I had a similar problem with the inner pot, it smelled like my last meal

Did some googling and got this:

http://instantpot.com/faq/questions-...your-purchase/
    Cool, I will try some, or all, of these methods.

Thank you!

Let night I made beef and broccoli, it was pretty good. I will make it again, but tweak the recipe a bit.

My lid now smells like a combination of Korean beef and Beef and broccoli now.

I have still only used this a handful of times.

I have yogurt going as we speak.

I typically use it 2-4 times per week. Much more than any other counter appliance I own.

Made salsa verde chicken last night, pretty dang tasty. Nice and shredded in 20 minutes. I didn't think I would use it much, but I am using it quite a bit. Tonight is apple cider pork loin.