Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby reflux/Dairy free help

Baby reflux/Dairy free help

I think we're about at the end of the line with nursing for Timmy/Sneaky Pete. He is increasingly unhappy at feeds, the pediatrician thinks it's reflux. He started Axid about five days ago, he's not screaming anymore but he's not really eating much. He does fine on the first feed after his big block of sleep, but after that he doesn't eat for more than a minute or two before he's fussy and is then off and on constantly for the rest of the feeding.

So I've supplemented with Nutramigen, which he seems to handle just fine. I'm pretty close to just giving him that and calling it a day.

I'm trying to eliminate dairy too to see if that helps. Everything I've read seems to indicate that's a thing, and I was allergic to dairy myself as a baby. But everything I like seems to have dairy in it somewhere. Any suggestions?

Premier Sponsor
    No suggestions just sympathy. My friend went through something similar with her twins. She went vegan and there was improvement for a time but ultimately she ended up just going with a formula.

Oh that sucks . Is he all pukey? I thought that was common with reflux in babies.

Ds was actually a pretty good nurser once we worked out our are early kinks - but every once in awhile he would act weird. Crying while nursing and latching on an off and being super fussy and kind of screaming aftewards. I don't know how we pinned it down but I guess it happened infrequently enough that we realized it happened when I ate pork . And it would happen almost immediately. Bacon and ham was fine - but not pork chops/roasts. I stopped eating pork and the problem went away. He has no issues with pork now.

If it was dairy that would really suck - much harder to eliminate than pork .

Have you tried just going dairy free for a day or two to see if that would help? I imagine it should show an effect fairly quickly if it was dairy

I should also say that if you're okay in just moving to formula than you should.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    It sounds like the formula route would be better for him and you, so I probably would do that and use my energy for other things. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you're wanting dairy-free advice, I'd check the vegan recipe sites and Thug Kitchen. But I think dairy-free is a PITA.

I hope you figure out the best thing for you.

LB Do you have a fast let down? I sometimes see this with moms who have a ton of milk and it comes down quickly. The babies often present with reflux because they have to drink so quickly. They are often fussy at breast because it's a bit like sucking on a fire hose. Does any of that sound familar?

Also eliminating Dairy take about 3 weeks to completely leave your milk. Make sure you also stay away from Casein and other milk products in crackers etc

LB, if you do go the formula route, do you know if he needs Nutramigen? We used the lactose free formula and my DD tolerated it well. We found out when she was old enough to allergy test that she was allergic to milk. The Nutramigen is really expensive from what I remember and she didn't like it too much. When I tasted it, I understood why. It was awful.

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    LB, I also want to say I'm in your corner. I support whatever you decide to do. A lot of people give mothers so much crap, especially when it comes to breastfeeding. Babies need to be fed and loved. Period. Full stop. If you can handle the dietary changes to keep breastfeeding, if you decide formula is the way to go, if you come up with some other option that works, I'll be cheering you on.

I eventually figured out Zach was lactose intolerant, so had to use a soy based formula, then eventually switched to soy milk when he was older and off the bottle.

Hope you find what's best for Timmy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    Oh that sucks . Is he all pukey? I thought that was common with reflux in babies.

Ds was actually a pretty good nurser once we worked out our are early kinks - but every once in awhile he would act weird. Crying while nursing and latching on an off and being super fussy and kind of screaming aftewards. I don't know how we pinned it down but I guess it happened infrequently enough that we realized it happened when I ate pork . And it would happen almost immediately. Bacon and ham was fine - but not pork chops/roasts. I stopped eating pork and the problem went away. He has no issues with pork now.

If it was dairy that would really suck - much harder to eliminate than pork .

Have you tried just going dairy free for a day or two to see if that would help? I imagine it should show an effect fairly quickly if it was dairy
    He was a little pukey in the beginning, but not really, now. Doctor says it may be invisible reflux, where it comes up just enough to burn the throat and piss them off, but they don't actually puke. He will spit up quite a lot if he gets too much formula, but it's rare, usually formula stays down fine.

I have been several days without dairy, well, intentional dairy. I keep starting to eat stuff, then think oh, crap, check the ingredients, and sure enough, oops. Last few feeds he eats, but is clearly unsatisfied after. Probably milk slacking off from the supplementing.