Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby reflux/Dairy free help

Quote Originally Posted by coachgrrl View Post
    LB Do you have a fast let down? I sometimes see this with moms who have a ton of milk and it comes down quickly. The babies often present with reflux because they have to drink so quickly. They are often fussy at breast because it's a bit like sucking on a fire hose. Does any of that sound familar?

Also eliminating Dairy take about 3 weeks to completely leave your milk. Make sure you also stay away from Casein and other milk products in crackers etc
    Possibly. It's weird, but I feel like the fast let down is on the first feed of the day, and that's the one he tolerates the best. I hear him gulping away, and there's a second one where's he's gulping again but he seems happy as a pig in the mud. It's after his biggest block of sleep 5-6 hours, so his tummy is at its emptiest, if that makes a difference. At subsequent feeds there's never that whole gulping deal as far as I can tell. Just about two minutes of regular swallowing, then he starts getting annoyed.

Before the doctor said reflux, I assumed it was because the milk wasn't coming out fast enough. Because there's definitely still milk there, I've checked...but probably less at that point.

As per doctor's advice, I started on the other side, where there's really not much milk, (definitely some, but nothing at all like the other one) but he doesn't like that either.

Thanks for the casein tip, I wasn't even looking out for that. I'm not even sure what casein is, to tell you the truth, but I'll google. I'm still getting accidental dairy, (a few peanut m&m's today before I thought about it) but nothing like my previous amount.

I drink a LOT of milk and was on an ice cream kick there for a little while. We also eat a lot of pizza and Italian stuff with lots of cheeses. I've been avoiding it since Sunday. It's funny how seriously I was allergic as a baby and now I probably consume more dairy than most people..

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    LB, if you do go the formula route, do you know if he needs Nutramigen? We used the lactose free formula and my DD tolerated it well. We found out when she was old enough to allergy test that she was allergic to milk. The Nutramigen is really expensive from what I remember and she didn't like it too much. When I tasted it, I understood why. It was awful.
    I had to supplement from about 2 weeks on because he had breastmilk jaundice, so I tried Similac then, which made him gassy and unhappy. Then the doctor had me try another Similac that was supposed to be gentler, same result.

Then I did Nutramigen because it's the only thing that worked for me as a baby, and sure enough he did much better with that. Since he was only getting about 2 oz per day the cost wasn't a huge factor, but if it's going to be his main food, then yeah. Expensive. I thought the Nutramigen was the lactose free version? One of my girlfriends with the same insurance has told me that our insurance covers it if the doctor says they need it, so I'm looking into that.

And yeah, it smells pretty gross. But he's sucking it down eagerly enough. Poor guy. I just don't want him to associate pain with feeding, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by purplekitty View Post
    I eventually figured out Zach was lactose intolerant, so had to use a soy based formula, then eventually switched to soy milk when he was older and off the bottle.

Hope you find what's best for Timmy!
    You know, in retrospect Emma behaved the same way (I assumed I was slacking off on milk production because I had a benign but painful abscess in my chest that had to be drained when she was right around the age Timmy is now) and we went Nutramigen with her, too. Then switched over to regular milk when she turned one and she was absolutely fine with it.

Thanks Kendriln, WOG & Dharma for your advice, too. I definitely don't want to go nuts over this. I want him to have the breastmilk if we can fix this, but not if he's going to be miserable for a prolonged period of time.

Fed and happy is what I'm aiming for. Just sucks that I put in so much time and pain in the early days to get a decent supply and now we're back to square one.

This is a dairy cheat sheet from Kellymom.com you may find helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...en-dairy01.pdf

That website also has some great information on forceful letdown as well.

If you had this before and then it ended up being a mastitis/abcess pay close attention to your breasts to make sure you aren't heading in that direction again. Ok?

Thanks, Coach, I'll look at that.

It definitely wasn't mastitis before, it was something I had even before I got pregnant, and then it went haywire a few months after Emma was born. It's some random thing the Derm thinks I picked up from the gym. They've popped up in completely different spots every time, every 2-3 years.

Wow three weeks to clear it out? That's crazy - since food moves through us so quickly I thought a few days max .

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    Wow three weeks to clear it out? That's crazy - since food moves through us so quickly I thought a few days max .
    I thought the same thing! Three weeks is a long time to go no dairy without knowing if it will even help. I've never even managed to diet before because I hate food restrictions. I can exercise all the live long day, I can moderate stuff but I hate anything being totally off limits.

Ah, well, first time for everything, right?