Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pope says he believes ban on female priests is forever

Pope says he believes ban on female priests is forever

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE, Nov 1 (Reuters) - Pope Francis said on Tuesday he believes the Roman Catholic Church's ban on women becoming priests is forever and will never be changed, in some of his most definitive remarks on the issue.

He was speaking aboard a plane taking him back to Rome from Sweden, in the freewheeling news conference with reporters that has become a tradition of his return flights from trips abroad.

A Swedish female reporter noted that the head of the Lutheran Church who welcomed him in Sweden was a woman, and then asked if he thought the Catholic Church could allow women to be ordained as ministers in coming decades.

"St. Pope John Paul II had the last clear word on this and it stands, this stands," Francis said.

Francis was referring to a 1994 document by Pope John Paul that closed the door on a female priesthood. The Vatican says this teaching is an infallible part of Catholic tradition.

The reporter then pressed the pope, asking: "But forever, forever? Never, never?

Francis responded: "If we read carefully the declaration by St. John Paul II, it is going in that direction."
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...D=ansmsnnews11

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    Not surprised
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    Not surprised

yep

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    That's a bummer, because he's seemed to be a more progressive guy, as far as popes go.

Yeah not really surprised regardless of how much I like Francis, I don't see that one changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    That's a bummer, because he's seemed to be a more progressive guy, as far as popes go.
    This is the problem with infallible popes. If he undid the ban, then he would have to acknowledge that Pope John Paul II wasn't infallible. That would pretty much decimate all of Catholic theology, it would also undermine his own papacy. That doesn't mean that somewhere down the line he can't find a work-around. He could, hypothetically, create an office that has all the same exact duties as a priest that is called something else, for which women can be. That sounds a bit like marriage/civil unions to me, and seems unfair. But that could also be an avenue to find a role exactly like the preisthood that doesn't involve celibacy.

All of this would be very radical change for the Church. However, looking at some of his past comments and such, I would not be surprised if he starts to take the church in this direction. It would take a very long time, and the best hope for any of this to happen would be that he is very precise is elevating enough folks to cardinals who are like-minded that after he dies, he would be replaced by someone like-minded, and on and on (like say, a hundred years of Pope Francis clones) And it is all my speculation based on his past comments. The Catholic Church and change mix like water and oil.

I'm still not clear why people cling so much to the words of the head of one branch of one major religion. He isn't going to change the position on abortion or contraceptives either.

Nothing man made is "forever".
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Patience...I'd actually like to see priests be allowed to marry first. Baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Patience...I'd actually like to see priests be allowed to marry first. Baby steps.
    Priests will marry other men before they allow women priests.