Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Teal Pumpkin Project

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andee View Post
    Honestly, I will not. I feel a little bad about it but I figure the parents will police their candy. I just have way to many kids that come to the house that there is no way of knowing how many non allergy treats to have. I usually have a big variety and if a kid asks for something specific, I will give it to them.

Does this mean I am a jerk?
    It is totally up to the parents to check their kids bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansel View Post
    We get a couple hundred kids. I've never heard of the teal pumpkin thing. I'm out of the loop of little kid things, though. I've also never had a kid or request anything different than my usual random chocolate bars (some marked "no peanut", some not) and Rockets.

We have a lot of peanut butter in my house - we both eat it, and the dog gets Kong stuffed with some a few times a week. Which she carries all over the house. I'd never be able to guarantee that there isn't peanut on anything I hand out.
    My sign is going to say "non-food treat available on request", instead of anything like "peanut-free" for exactly this reason. I'd like to think that a parent of a kid with an extreme allergy, which might cause a life-threatening reaction if the kid touches something that has been even peanut-adjacent, would just not take their kid T-oTing at stranger's homes, as there's simply no way to guarantee someone hasn't just devoured a Reese's PB cup before handing that kid an eraser and a small jar of Play-Doh. I'm not making ay claims about allergen-free or safe for kids w/ allergies, or anything like that. "Non-food treats", and the parents, who are familiar with the kids' sensitivities, can make the decision.

That is perfectly acceptable

I am too lazy to go back through the thread and read so sorry if this has been said already. I just saw a commercial for the teal pumpkin project and you can go to their website and print out a sign that says something about non food treat available.

Crunchy and a little nutty PB&J's Avatar
    I went a step further, I have peanut free AND vegan candy! Before y'all think I'm handing out raisins and soybeans...I got Swedish Fish, Sour Patch Kids and Dum Dums. All vegan, peanut free, and something I like to eat if there's any left over. lol We get a LOT of TorTers so probably none left over. I bought the huge bags, too.

Skittles and Nerds are also vegan/allergen/nut free but the store didn't have any.

Ours is tonight. I've been told to expect 700 kids. :faint I'm glad we are combining forces with the cul de sac, and that we are making it in to a potluck while we pass out candy together. And it looks like we are even going to escape the rain!