Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black doctor kept from saving passenger's life because plane staff wanted real doctor

Black doctor kept from saving passenger's life because plane staff wanted real doctor

When Tamika Cross heard a woman screaming for help for her husband who fell ill on a Delta flight last weekend, she sprang to action. The young black doctor, on her way home from a wedding in Detroit, took off her headphones, put her tray table up and unbuckled her seatbelt.
    A flight attendant called out for medical assistance for the man, who was unresponsive. Cross, a fourth-year resident at McGovern Medical School at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, raised her hand.
    "She said to me, 'Oh, no sweetie, put ur hand down, we are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel, we don't have time to talk to you,'" Cross wrote in a Facebook post that has gone viral. "I tried to inform her that I was a physician, but I was continually cut off by condescending remarks."

http://www.nola.com/health/index.ssf...river_home_pop

Wishes reality was like comic books tpatt100's Avatar
    I think it's age discrimination, I kinda offended a doctor recently who came in while I was waiting and I assumed she was a student. I was making small talk and asked her how long until she is done with training, she said she was a doctor. I shut up and realized I was old.
    Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

Ann Landers

Yes she admitted in her post she didn't know if it was age/gender/race. It could have been all three honestly.

There are minority doctors all over the place. My Primary Physician is Egyptian, in fact. I don't understand why that attendant found it so unbelievable. :gg
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

My sister in law is an RN, who once treated a heart attack victim on a flight, just about two years ago. As I remember her telling it, nobody asked her what her credentials were beyond "I am a nurse".

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I shut up and realized I was old.
    Shut up.

The flight attendant called her sweetie, really?!

Quote Originally Posted by tpatt100 View Post
    I think it's age discrimination, I kinda offended a doctor recently who came in while I was waiting and I assumed she was a student. I was making small talk and asked her how long until she is done with training, she said she was a doctor. I shut up and realized I was old.
    It happens. Doctors all start to look like Doogie Howser at some point.
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Quote Originally Posted by Mamapalooza View Post
    It happens. Doctors all start to look like Doogie Howser at some point.
    The three stages:

Stage 1: Doctor says: "You kids are too careless."
    Stage 2: Doctor says: "People our age need to be more careful."
    Stage 3: Doctor says: "People your age need to be more careful."

I've had the same thing. I was the only one on board with any medical training. Gave them my license number and DEA number. They handed the headset over and I wasn't offended.

Feminist since age three! Marian Paroo's Avatar
    A Chinese doctor was severely questioned and taken aside by the immigration police when she got off the plane in Israel because despite her documentation, and letter of invitation from a top Israeli hospital they were sure everything was forged and she came here to work as a cleaning lady