Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your school is failing? State to the rescue!!

Your school is failing? State to the rescue!!

Should the state step in and try to "fix" failing public schools?

This proposal authorizes the General Assembly to provide for the creation of an Opportunity School District and authorizes the state to assume the supervision, management, and operation of failing public elementary and secondary schools, including the power to receive, control, and expend appropriated funds for such purposes.
    https://ballotpedia.org/Georgia_Auth...dment_1_(2016)

in the Bat cave avoiding the drama llamas
    Well, I'll tell you what's happening in our school district. Six of 48 schools were listed as "distressed" so the state board of education disbanded our school board, of which many members had been elected just a few months prior, and took the district over. We have been fighting it ever since.

We have absolutely no voice in our schools now. The governor pushed through legislation that removed the requirement for education qualifications for our state Education Commissioner so he could appoint someone who wasn't qualified. The BOE fired the superintendent (who was admittedly terrible) and appointed a new super who many assumed would just be the governor's lackey but he turned out to be fabulous and was making great strides in getting our district going in the right direction, so the Commissioner fired him and appointed a new super who was from WalMart, I mean Northwest Arkansas. The man has never been a super of a district as large as ours and definitely not encountered a diverse population.

Many expressed concern that he would bring WalMart's brand of charter schools to the district and were laughed at and described as paranoid conspiracy theorists. Pretty much the first thing he did was announce his plans to turn some of our schools into charter schools. We have protest groups but none of TPTB cares. Our governor and his followers are failing us. It's an unmitigated disaster.

No, because it really is just an excuse to channel more money to charters and private schools. The state has taken over the Youngstown schools, and while there certainly are issues that need to be addressed, they is no magic wand to be waved.
    nesha ;-)

Down with the Tsar!
    Time to storm the Winter Palace...

We have a charter school question on our ballot this election

The Massachusetts Authorization of Additional Charter Schools and Charter School Expansion Initiative, also known as Question 2, is on the November 8, 2016, ballot in Massachusetts as an indirect initiated state statute.
    A "yes" vote supports this proposal to authorize up to 12 new charter schools or enrollment expansions in existing charter schools by the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education per year.
    A "no" vote opposes this proposal to authorize up to 12 new charter schools or enrollment expansions in existing charter schools, thereby maintaining the current charter school cap.[1]

Overview

Although legislation had been introduced or passed by the Massachusetts state legislature, Question 2 is the first measure relating to school choice in Massachusetts ballot measure history.
    Question 2 would give the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education the authority to approve 12 new charter schools or to expand existing charter schools as a result of increased enrollment each year beginning on January 1, 2017. Priority would be given to those charter school applicants who seek to open a charter school in public school districts that are in the bottom 25 percent in the two years before application. Further, the Board would establish standards by which annual performance reviews would be judged.
    https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_Authorization_of_Additional_Charter_ Schools_and_Charter_School_Expansion,_Question_2_( 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RealCranky View Post
    No, because it really is just an excuse to channel more money to charters and private schools. The state has taken over the Youngstown schools, and while there certainly are issues that need to be addressed, they is no magic wand to be waved.
    Yup.

No. I live in Illinois and the state has already mismanaged plenty of my money that was supposed to go to the schools already. I don't need them using what little is left to pay into other funds that they've already run dry.

I don't see this getting much support here, either (and I'm glad), but was curious what the board consensus would be. I'm not at all impressed with charter schools on the whole. There are some that are fabulous, but those are vastly outnumbered by the poor ones, and that makes any push to divert more funds toward them a move that likely will not benefit children.

Careful observation over many years has convinced me that government takeovers solve nothing. All they do is scapegoat, deluge the affected districts with red tape, dole out punishments, and fail to address the REAL causes of low student achievement in schools.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Careful observation over many years has convinced me that government takeovers solve nothing. All they do is scapegoat, deluge the affected districts with red tape, dole out punishments, and fail to address the REAL causes of low student achievement in schools.
    Precisely. It's almost like they come in to deliver the death blow to struggling schools and make certain that they fail. There is absolutely nothing helpful in what they do, in terms of helping a school with enormous needs.

NEVERtrump
    You know how you know this is an ALEC idea? Google "Opportunity School District." They are being proposed and/or developed in republican-led states nation-wide. The WI state legislature gave themselves permission to make and "Opportunity School Partnership Program" in Milwaukee. ALEC is like a hive mind.
    “Saying John Lewis isn’t a man of action is like me saying: ‘Donald Trump is all tax returns, no tweets.’” Trevor Noah

Countdown the the End of An Error