Thread: Intelligence inherited from the mother

Intelligence inherited from the mother

A mothers' genetics determines how clever her children are, according to researchers, and the father makes no difference.

Women are more likely to transmit intelligence genes to their children because they are carried on the X chromosome and women have two of these, while men only have one.

But in addition to this, scientists now believe genes for advanced cognitive functions which are inherited from the father may be automatically deactivated.
    Concerned that people might not be like mice, researchers in Glasgow took a more human approach to exploring intelligence. They found the theories extrapolated from mice studies bear out in reality when they interviewed 12,686 young people between the ages of 14 and 22 every year from 1994. Despite taking into account several factors, from the participants education to their race and socio-economic status, the team still found the best predictor of intelligence was the IQ of the mother.

However, research also makes it clear that genetics are not the only determinant of intelligence - only 40 to 60 per cent of intelligence is estimated to be hereditary, leaving a similar chunk dependent on the environment.

But mothers have also been found to play an extremely significant role in this non-genetic part of intelligence, with some studies suggesting a secure bond between mother and child is intimately tied to intelligence.

link
    Mom to Taylor (22), Katie (19), Ben (16) & Grace (13)

A mothers' genetics determines how clever her children are, according to researchers, and the father makes no difference.
    Of course.
    "Life is about dreams. Teaching is about making them come true."

Maybe. But I know my 2 kids who are fantastic at math...did NOT get that from me :)

I don't know. My oldest clearly gets her affinity for mechanics from her father. Meanwhile I'm over here muttering, "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty".
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

I'm a lot like my maternal uncle. My cousin even told me how much I remind her of him. A lot came from my Mom's side; not my height, thank goodness.

When ds was in grade 2 another mother was volunteering in the classroom. I don't remember what she was doing with the kids...I think she was do math or something. At the end of the day she was prattling on to me about how smart he was. She then looks at me and says in all seriousness"does he get that from his father?"

Intellectually, I am my dad. My mom had people smarts, but not book smarts.
    Dd and her dad are identical in their brains, too. They're both language/music people, and I'm the science/math one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Goat View Post
    . She then looks at me and says in all seriousness"does he get that from his father?"
    When dd was little people used to often end noting how tall and pretty she was with "she must look like her father?" (she does though she stopped growing and isn't tall anymore)

i agree with this assessment, at least as far as how it has played out in my family.